Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    more like 28 million
    Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.
    probably closer to 2 or 2.5

you always here that you need 5 or 6 million for draft picks, but thats a load of crap

right now, with jayrone signed, we sit at abut 26.5 million in free cap space. thats already counting the top 51 players, a good chunck of whom are making the minimum (around 500-600k)

with the draft picks, pretty much anyone drafted after the second round is gonna be playing for the minimum, so they're just gonna be taking the place of some other guy making the minimum, so no cap spaced lost. the only real guys that are gonna take up space are the first and second rounders. last years first rounder (clark) had a cap number of about 1.7, or 1.1 or 1.2 more then the guy he replaced. our second rounder (spriggs) had a cap hit of 900k, or 400k more then the guy he replaced

so really, by my math, last years rookie class ate up about 1.6 million of the free cap space we had

that 5 or 6 million would be the total cap hit for the drafted rookies, but you gotta keep in mind, those guys are gonna be replacing guys that are already being counted against the cap