Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank’s Take on the Draft

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar

Tank’s Take on the Draft

Rd Players
    1 Hawk LB
    Michael Huff was clearly the best defensive players in this draft; the Texas DB has not weakness at all. Hawk’s coverage skill is a liability. I think Greenway is the more complete player because he has excellent coverage skill. Why did Thompson draft Hawk if he was not the best defensive player? Same reason why you would marry an ugly girl over a pretty girl. You love the ugly girl.

2 Colledge OG
    Best pick in this draft. Colledge could be this year’s version of Logan Mankins, the players the Polar Bear should’ve drafted in the 1st rd last year. Thompson should’ve drafted this guy at #37 instead and pick Chad Jackson at #36. The Polar Bear traded down and that is a terrible mistake.

2 Jenning WR
    Two words: Chad Jackson. Two more words: fuck up. All Thompson got for trading Walker is this guy.

3 Hodge LB
    Undersized LB who likely would not beat out a healthy Brady Poppinga. Might start because he’s all the Packers have.

3 Spitz OL
    Also could start because Pack are desperate at OL. Somebody in the Packers front office named Ted missed opportunities to sign proven veterans Mike Wahle and Steve Hutchinson.

4 Rogers WR
    Ted Thompson thinks Rodgers to Rogers will be enough to take the Packers to the next level in the year After Favre. I think he is delusional.

4 Blackman CB/WR
    Memories of Roosevelt Blackman still linger in my mind.

5 Martin QB
    Practice squad candidate.

5 Moll OT
    Practice squad candidate

6 Jolly OT
    Won’t make the team.

6 Culver S
    Won’t make the team

7. Who gives a fuck?

Overall Grade: D+
    Hawk could turn out to be a super star and make me look like a fool. But as long as Huff is better, I will continue to look like a genius. Huff will be better than Hawk. These are the words of a genius like me. This whole draft would be rated F if not for the Colledge pick. Memories of those wonderful days when Mike Sherman was winning linger still in my mind. Cherish those moments as it may be 20 years before the Packers make the Playoffs again. Of course, the Packers are not destined to go through 20 years of losing seasons; that is, if the Packers fire their current GM right now, they would be a contender in as early as 2007.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Re: Tank’s Take on the Draft

Nice writeup Tank.....don't 100% agree but nice nonetheless....

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You like Colledge huh? But why? He is also a polar bear from Alaska.

Good job though, you came through.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker

I wouldnt care if Colledge is from hell. Any player good enough to protact Favre from becoming a human dummy is a good player. Though, i would rather have Mankins and Wahle or Hutchinson.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker

I wouldnt care if Colledge is from hell. Any player good enough to protact Favre from becoming a human dummy is a good player. Though, i would rather have Mankins and Wahle or Hutchinson.
    I would have like Mankins too but thats cuz he from Fresno St. This guy
    Colledge could be like Wahle.

I thought someone posted that he has only been injured once in college and the surgery required a screw put in his small toe. Ouch! But I dont imagine he missed any games. Sounds like a tough player.

I think Tank needs his own column.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell

Could be called "Tales from the Opium Den"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear

4 Rogers WR
    Ted Thompson thinks Rodgers to Rogers will be enough to take the Packers to the next level in the year After Favre. I think he is delusional.

Rodgers to Rogers might fall through like Couch to Davenport did.

Tim and Najeh that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Motion seconded.

All those in favor?

Brewmeister Rat Starter Travbrew's Avatar

[quote="Anti-Polar Bear"][size=10]
    2 Jenning WR
    Two words: Chad Jackson. Two more words: fuck up. All Thompson got for trading Walker is this guy.

This morning ON ESPN radio Colin Cowherd says Jennings is "THE SLEEPER" of the draft and had nothing but praise for this years draft, saying the best Packer draft in 7 years with many players ready to start this year.

I'll admit I thought Jackson was the guy to get, but I guess we'll see. D+ is a little weak for a grade IMO. I'm giving a grade of B at the least. I will say I feel WAY more confident in this year's draft than any of Shermie's.
    Semper Fi
    "Hhhmmm, beer..my only vice."

Glad to have you here, travbrew.

? HOFer
    Tank,

if Chad Jackson is so good, then why didn't the Steelers not stand pat and take him? My guess is that is the same reason we didn't take him.

I like this draft... of course anything can happen with these guys; but, on paper, I like the draft.

I'm very high on Hodge... I thought Poppinga was a good player last year and should have been in the starting lineup much sooner in the season. With the addition of Hawk and Hodge, and if Poppinga comes back healthy, Barnett could very well be the 4th best LB on this team.

One thing for sure, Hawk, Hodge, and Poppinga are all much tougher, and much more stout at the point of attack than Barnett. An upgrade at LB was desperately needed.

I also like the rest of the draft for the most part... some of these guys aren't going to make the team, but if they provide good competition, and given that there are always injuries...

Pretty good draft.

We ended up with 5 picks from Walker when it is all said and done. Not too shabby IMO
    Chris: Dad, what's the blow-hole for?
    Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    Welcome TravBrew and BlueBrewer!

D is definitely harsh, but you're welcome to your opinion Tank.

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBrewer
    We ended up with 5 picks from Walker when it is all said and done. Not too shabby IMO
    Yes. No.

I want to see him ROTTING IN HELL and PICKING PINE SPLINTERS OUTTA HIS ASS, but, ya can't see that and have 5 players, right?

It really depends on if we get a pro-bowler not named Hawk outta this draft. I know we officially picked up 5 players, but, TT did wheeling and dealing and made 11 selections after the Walker trade, that, IMO, are hard to seperate.

Having that extra 2nd where he did, influenced everything we did from that point on.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Tank,

if Chad Jackson is so good, then why didn't the Steelers not stand pat and take him? My guess is that is the same reason we didn't take him.
    Holmes was rated the best WR in this draft, and the Steelers probably didnt think he would last til the 32nd. Jackson was the 2nd best, and the best available WR on board when Pack pick at 36. If your gonna draft a WR in the 2nd Rd, might as well draft the best one available. You wait and you end up with a guy like Jenning.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43
    I like this draft... of course anything can happen with these guys; but, on paper, I like the draft.

I'm very high on Hodge... I thought Poppinga was a good player last year and should have been in the starting lineup much sooner in the season. With the addition of Hawk and Hodge, and if Poppinga comes back healthy, Barnett could very well be the 4th best LB on this team.

One thing for sure, Hawk, Hodge, and Poppinga are all much tougher, and much more stout at the point of attack than Barnett. An upgrade at LB was desperately needed.

I also like the rest of the draft for the most part... some of these guys aren't going to make the team, but if they provide good competition, and given that there are always injuries...

Pretty good draft.
    Wist, you are out of your mind. No way Pollinga and Hodge are better the Barnett. Even Hawk is not better than Barnett at this point.

What I find really encouraging is that we will able to track both Jennings and that Pats guy, probably next season.

Both Pats and Packers have openings for WR. Should be marvelous to have Tank week after week comparing Huff/Hawk, Jackson/Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    Both Pats and Packers have openings for WR. Should be marvelous to have Tank week after week comparing Huff/Hawk, Jackson/Jennings.
    I wont disappoint.