Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've settled in on a guy I want most. CJ Mosley, ilb, Alabama. Hawk won't be around too much longer. Mosley is a man, not a boy playing football. He's a leader and a guy who can be the heart of the defense for years to come. His skill and awareness is off the charts and is a hell of an athlete too. To me, he's a special piece, especially with the makeup of our team. He's bishop with coverage ability and speed.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I've settled in on a guy I want most. CJ Mosley, ilb, Alabama. Hawk won't be around too much longer. Mosley is a man, not a boy playing football. He's a leader and a guy who can be the heart of the defense for years to come. His skill and awareness is off the charts and is a hell of an athlete too. To me, he's a special piece, especially with the makeup of our team. He's bishop with coverage ability and speed.
    don't think he's there for us at 21

I think we might be choosing for Shazier...if he makes it...and some DL Slugs and WR's

My three I'm at peace with are Mosley.....Prior....and Shazier in that order
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    don't think he's there for us at 21

I think we might be choosing for Shazier...if he makes it...and some DL Slugs and WR's

My three I'm at peace with are Mosley.....Prior....and Shazier in that order
    ward, pryor, mosley, shazier for me, in that order

when i watch them, i think mosley and pryor and haha can all be very good players. shazier could be a decent starter (very hawk like, but i'm one of the few who thinks that would be ok). but ward, to me, is the only one that looks like he could be special. and his size is really the only problem i can find with him

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    ward, pryor, mosley, shazier for me, in that order

when i watch them, i think mosley and pryor and haha can all be very good players. shazier could be a decent starter (very hawk like, but i'm one of the few who thinks that would be ok). but ward, to me, is the only one that looks like he could be special. and his size is really the only problem i can find with him

I need to go find some more film on Ward; I"m not on board with him and think he's going in the 32-45 range. he's truly a guy i'd want to deal down for and not grab at 21
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I need to go find some more film on Ward; I"m not on board with him and think he's going in the 32-45 range. he's truly a guy i'd want to deal down for and not grab at 21
    against FSU last year. this is where you see shades of woodson. ward is there on every play,lines up everywhere

i believe its this game vs toledo where you'll see him make one of the better int's you'll see in your life

those are the three games i can find on youtube. when you look at pryor and mosely and shazier, you see guys playing well on good defenses. when you watch ward yousee a guy who IS his teams defense. and these are full games, every snap he played, not just a highlight reel

and did i mention that even though he's "small" and missed the combine due to a minor foot injury, and he seems to throw his body all over the place on every single play, i believe he's only missed one game in his 4 year college career due to injury

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    against FSU last year. this is where you see shades of woodson. ward is there on every play,lines up everywhere

those are the three games i can find on youtube. when you look at pryor and mosely and shazier, you see guys playing well on good defenses. when you watch ward yousee a guy who IS his teams defense. and these are full games, every snap he played, not just a highlight reel

and did i mention that even though he's "small" and missed the combine due to a minor foot injury, and he seems to throw his body all over the place on every single play, i believe he's only missed one game in his 4 year college career due to injury
    I likes me some Jimmie Ward. Perhaps the closest thing you'll find to Nick Collins in this draft--although not at that elite level. I've read that the drills that some tend to ignore at the combine (vertical and broad jump) are good indicators for success for safeties at the NFL level. The best safeties in the draft for combined SAA (speed, acceleration, and agility) + explosion (vertical and broad) are Jimmie Ward, Kenny Ladler, Dezman Southward, and Dontae Johnson (if he moves from CB). Buchanan is pretty close. Ward and Buchanan combine good tackling ability with those traits--although Buchanan looks stiff in coverage to me. Ward also has ball skills. His film looks good too. I'm very close to having him as my top rated safety.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I likes me some Jimmie Ward. Perhaps the closest thing you'll find to Nick Collins in this draft--although not at that elite level. I've read that the drills that some tend to ignore at the combine (vertical and broad jump) are good indicators for success for safeties at the NFL level. The best safeties in the draft for combined SAA (speed, acceleration, and agility) + explosion (vertical and broad) are Jimmie Ward, Kenny Ladler, Dezman Southward, and Dontae Johnson (if he moves from CB). Buchanan is pretty close. Ward and Buchanan combine good tackling ability with those traits--although Buchanan looks stiff in coverage to me. Ward also has ball skills. His film looks good too. I'm very close to having him as my top rated safety.
    its tough, because for 4 months,i've been saying haha and pryor have been the 2 clear cut best safeties, then i found ward

and its tough to come to grips with, but i really am starting to think he could be the best safety in the draft

Blog Entries

To see Southward's name up there is kind of mind boggling. Top honor was honorary mention all Big Ten. He did start four years; but here is what his production was over four years.

He's the anti Chris Borland; complete opposite

BORLAND AS A BADGER- Team leader, smash mouth football player. Explosive tackler who made big time plays in big time games. Plays faster than his measurables ......but lacks measurables

SOUTHWARD AS A BADGER- Hardly noticeable to even the most diehard fan. Great Measurables in height, weight, and speed. But made a rarity of plays at best. Dude is fast, and stays healthy But match his production up against others.....yikes..it ain't there

SOUTHWARD
    playing in 54 games, never missing a game over his four-year career ... started 30 games, including 28 consecutive contests to end his career ... recorded 152 total tackles and 11.5 TFLs, forcing four fumbles ... made two interceptions and broke up 11 passes

I'm really with you on the ilbs and safeties. I'm leaning Mosley a little more than you because of leadership and intangibles. I read scouts who said he could be better in the nfl because he understands the game. Casey Heyward is that kind of guy, better in the nfl. I do like Shaziers upside more and I waffle from time to time because he's just so fast and plays that way.

Then the safeties. I think all three of haha, cp and ward look similarly good on tape with prior winning the big-play battle. I think ward is the best tackler in open space and the best in man coverage. And he's the best athlete. I'm with you, if I ignore other peoples rankings, ward is the best safety in the group. Only reason I doubt it is because all the sites say he's 3rd.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.