Thread: Playoff Positions After Week Three

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Dam you, what am I supposed to add to this thread now!

Hope the vikings win a couple just so they don't get Luck.
    Was that your comment originally? I couldn't remember who I stole it from!

Love the rankings Cheez, they make me laugh right now. You must have done some research to find out all the tie-breakers. Can you explain what "Better conference net ranking in combined points than xxx" means?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Love the rankings Cheez, they make me laugh right now. You must have done some research to find out all the tie-breakers. Can you explain what "Better conference net ranking in combined points than xxx" means?
    http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in conference games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss.
    It is # 6 on the list above. You look at the points scored ranking within the conference (1-16) and add that ranking to the defense score allowed ranking (1-16). The combined number is compared.

For example the Dolphins and the Colts. The Dolphins are 13th in points scored and 12th in points allowed for a combined ranking of 25.

The Colts are 14th in points scored and tied for 15th in points allowed for a combined ranking of 29. The Dolphins are combined ranking is higher.

So the Dolphins and the Colts are tied at 0-3 and both are 0-2 in the conference. They do not have 4 common games. Neither has Strength of Victory because they haven't won. Their Strength of Schedule is tied. Then you look at the combined rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez View Post
    Thanks. Most of the others are pretty self explanatory, 6 and 7 I had heard of but didn't understand. It would have to be pretty crazy for it to get past #6...

Is Strength of Schedule a fixed number, based on last year's records, or does it change based on the W-L so far this year of opponents that have been played?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...