Thread: The Defense and its improvement. Why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Clay is a great rusher wherever you put him. He's been a great rusher, and that's mostly been outside. People act like he's supposed to get a sack every play. Sometimes, the other guy blocking him is good too. Sometimes, a great rusher gets doubled. Sometimes, the opposing QB throws quickly or has a quick release. Clay deservedly got paid because he's been one of the best outside rushers in the league.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Clay is a great rusher wherever you put him. He's been a great rusher, and that's mostly been outside. People act like he's supposed to get a sack every play. Sometimes, the other guy blocking him is good too. Sometimes, a great rusher gets doubled. Sometimes, the opposing QB throws quickly or has a quick release. Clay deservedly got paid because he's been one of the best outside rushers in the league.
    As I said, the conversation about Clay seldom ends well. I'm not getting into it again, but he's a great rusher of the passer. I disagree that he justified his salary until they moved him inside part time. Let's just leave it alone.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    As I said, the conversation about Clay seldom ends well. I'm not getting into it again, but he's a great rusher of the passer. I disagree that he justified his salary until they moved him inside part time. Let's just leave it alone.
    I agree, sort of. because they kept throwing him at the LT, his usefulness was diminished. That was on the coaches. Clay's best attribute is that very quick burst speed, so it helps to create mismatches for him/ line him up in gaps, etc.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I agree, sort of. because they kept throwing him at the LT, his usefulness was diminished. That was on the coaches. Clay's best attribute is that very quick burst speed, so it helps to create mismatches for him/ line him up in gaps, etc.
    Thanks, sort of. He is an absolute nightmare for offenses with how he is being used now.

Watching the Monday night countdown, they showed the Pack allowing 5 yds per rushing attempt, 2nd most in the league. Is that an improvement from last year?

Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    Watching the Monday night countdown, they showed the Pack allowing 5 yds per rushing attempt, 2nd most in the league. Is that an improvement from last year?
    Statistically no. But except for the 1st half against the Bears, they've been able to stop the run when they had to. Rams had a lot of rushing yards yesterday after falling behind by 2 scores, probably in an attempt to keep Nick Foles alive. So, they got yards, but not points. Packers have given up about 200 yards rushing to opposing QB's. I think they've missed Burnett there. Also, Packers have faced Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, and Gurley, I'll bet few if any teams have faced the caliber of RB's they've faced.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    Probably not. The D got gassed in the second half with the O playing poorly. That said still 5th in total yardage and 2nd scoring defense is a big improvement.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston