Thread: Triangle of Authority is Here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gute not having the authority to fire the HC is bad. This could workout badly if all these people going directly to Murphy undermines the GM. On the other hand, it sounds like there were some internal communications issues in the Packers. It's possible that TT compartmentalized the coaching from the scouting from the finances causing friction and a sense of people not being trusted. Opening up those lines could make things a whole lot better.

Hope for the latter, be prepared to fire Murphy in case of the former.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Gute not having the authority to fire the HC is bad. This could workout badly if all these people going directly to Murphy undermines the GM. On the other hand, it sounds like there were some internal communications issues in the Packers. It's possible that TT compartmentalized the coaching from the scouting from the finances causing friction and a sense of people not being trusted. Opening up those lines could make things a whole lot better.

Hope for the latter, be prepared to fire Murphy in case of the former.
    I suppose the worst case scenario is BG going to Murphy at the end of next season and saying "We need to fire Stubby" If Murphy says no, BG would have no choice but to resign. And that's when the org would start to turn into Cleveland, where anyone coming in would wonder about their authority.

My guess is that the contract extension and the change in power structure was made to protect Stubby from looking like a lame duck coach for one year. Regardless, Stubby, much like Sherman, looks like he's on shaky ground, so that recruiting coaches are going to wonder if they are just going to be in town for a year.

Of course, there is the possibility that the change in power structure is meant to strengthen Stubby's position and power overall (like an actual promotion), so that he can guarantee multiple years. Perhaps this is an alternate view of why Stubby is turning over coaches - not because he was forced to, but because he has guarantees and can take the chance of reorganizing. Still, if guys get sacked after one bad year with the MVP injured, then anything goes. (After writing that, I feel less sure about any of it ).

Bottom line for me is that I feel like I have no way of knowing where the power resides, except of course with Murphy. If I were an interviewing coach, especially the DC, I would insist on meeting with Murphy to ask what the hell is going on.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck