Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I believe the prognosis for non-surgical approaches depends a lot on where the tear is located, how severe it is, and what your symptoms are. What state is your bad shoulder in right now? Did your docs give you more info on what kind of tear you're dealing with? Surgical approaches aren't a magic bullet either: they require lots of time off and rehab and the failure rate is higher than you would like if you're going to go through all of that. So, if I were in your shoes, I would probably start out with the less invasive approach if you don't have the kind of severe tear that absolutely requires surgery. Based on the fact that you're even asking the question, I am assuming you have the garden variety, not the acute kind. Did it happen all of a sudden or has it been a gradual thing? If you hold your arms out horizontally so they're parallel to the ground, do you have enough strength to push up on the bad side against moderate resistance?
Correct, non acute. Held up against resistance. I've been (not nearly often enough) doing rehab for about a year. Yesterday I extended my arm quickly and got a searing pain for about 2 hours. Felt like the first one all over again. I assume I just need to do the rehab religiously for it to get better?