Thread: An Attempt At Discussing McCarthy's Future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    There's no reason to believe that they will. This isn't a 'law of averages thing,' it's an institutional thing. The Packers organization is set up to succeed. That it may not is a possibility, but it's not subject to some inevitable natural cycle.

Sorry for all the F bombs. I think I am still in the anger stage. I may need more sessions with Dr. John Holmes, MD, Ph.D. for a full recovery.
    The decline is inevitable. No team's success can last forever, regardless of the strength of the organization. Just look at the history of the NFL. Every year we get into the playoffs is another year closer to the decline of the packer empire. You have to win when the stars align.

And I for one will not be swayed by the rats' group therapy to make the loss easier. It still hurts like a motherfucker to be soooo close, and have them piss it away.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    The decline is inevitable. No team's success can last forever, regardless of the strength of the organization. Just look at the history of the NFL. Every year we get into the playoffs is another year closer to the decline of the packer empire. You have to win when the stars align.

And I for one will not be swayed by the rats' group therapy to make the loss easier. It still hurts like a motherfucker to be soooo close, and have them piss it away.
    I'm not trying to ease the pain of the loss. Just trying to inject a little reality into the conversation. A decline is not inevitable: but that depends on what you mean by decline. I expect there will be down years, there might even be a stretch where some bad institutional leadership returns. But long stretches of institutional incompetence are not inevitable, just possible and less likely, based on how the Packers are organized. But to your point about winning while stars are aligned - I agree, you like to capture that title when you are close, because nothing is guaranteed. Looking long, long term, I actually think the game of football is destined to be eliminated or so fundamentally changed over the next several decades as to be unrecognizable. By the time that happens, I'm pretty sure the Packers will have a legacy of winning ensconced for all time in the game of football as we now understand it.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    It can't last forever, but it should last as long as Rodgers is one of the NFL's top QB's, and as long as TT and MM are running things. Unlike teams like New Orleans and the Giants, teams that have won fairly recent Super Bowls, the Packers are better than they were 2 years ago. They are one of the top 3 teams in the NFL, and they are the 4th youngest team. The decline seems far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It can't last forever, but it should last as long as Rodgers is one of the NFL's top QB's, and as long as TT and MM are running things. Unlike teams like New Orleans and the Giants, teams that have won fairly recent Super Bowls, the Packers are better than they were 2 years ago. They are one of the top 3 teams in the NFL, and they are the 4th youngest team. The decline seems far off.
    This.