Thread: Official 2018 nfl draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You need one banger in the middle of a 3-4 defense and Ryan is it. Just look at what happens to the run D when Thomas has to go in for him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You need one banger in the middle of a 3-4 defense and Ryan is it. Just look at what happens to the run D when Thomas has to go in for him.
    It should be Martinez not Ryan. Ryan fits the 2000s model of Packer ILB. Chase and drag down from behind. That model is getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    It should be Martinez not Ryan. Ryan fits the 2000s model of Packer ILB. Chase and drag down from behind. That model is getting old.
    The numbers mean you are going to have one guy take on a guard. I would rather that be Ryan than Ponch. If its one ILB on field, then Ponch alone is fine.

Of course, teams can counter that and expose Ryan to coverage or lateral movement. But you cannot have an All Pro at every spot without being a terrible franchise for 10 years.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The numbers mean you are going to have one guy take on a guard. I would rather that be Ryan than Ponch. If its one ILB on field, then Ponch alone is fine.

Of course, teams can counter that and expose Ryan to coverage or lateral movement. But you cannot have an All Pro at every spot without being a terrible franchise for 10 years.
    Agree. Also, both Biegel, Ryan, Martinez were R4 picks, so you're unlikely to be getting All Pro level play. Modern offenses dictate that you don't use thumpers much except for early downs or goal line stands, but you still need one or two.
    I don't think Ryan is a stud, but I don't think he's garbage either.
    Martinez had a good year, with the exception of a couple of games and the occasional brain freeze with pass coverage. They are both solid players.
    Jury is out on Biegel; this was basically a redshirt season for him and Montravious Adams, who might develop as a DL pass rusher.

With the higher picks GB needs perimeter players (pass rush, CBs) IMO, unless there is an absolute beast at ILB who can play all 4 downs available. Considering teams are playing safeties as "moneybackers" now I don't think ILB is a highly valued position (like OG).

I really think another solid corner and a vastly improved pass rush is enough to put them in the top 12-15 on defense, which with a healthy Rodgers is probably enough to make them a strong SB contender.