Thread: About Hundly not being ready

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If Flynn wasn't injured, he was probably the perfect intersection of reliable enough and not good enough to start.

There is a fundamental disagreement between player prep time and coaching time. Player time has decreased. Coaching time has not. So, like in college, coaches still devise new schemes but need to winnow down the decision making flowchart for QBs with less practice time. McVay is doing this with Goff in Los Angeles. They run the college get lined up early, read the D, coach calls in audible from sideline.

But if you have a franchise QB, or for the teams that are planning to get one any day now, they still have the New York phone book of an offense. Then the backup comes in and what do you know? The playbook has to change and be winnowed down.

Your choices are either draft Flynn, sign Kaepernick (run a dangerous version of a new offense) or Gary Danielson (veteran former starter who know one really wants to start anymore).
    Last edited by pbmax; 12-10-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If Flynn wasn't injured, he was probably the perfect intersection of reliable enough and not good enough to start.

There is a fundamental disagreement between player prep time and coaching time. Player time has decreased. Coaching time has not. So, like in college, coaches still devise new schemes but need to winnow down the decision making flowchart for QBs with less practice time. McVay is doing this with Goff in Los Angeles. They run the college get lined up early, read the D, coach calls in audible from sideline.

But if you have a franchise QB, or for the teams that are planning to get one any day now, they still have the New York phone book of an offense. Then the backup comes in and what do you know? The playbook has to change and be winnowed down.

Your choices are either draft Flynn, sign Kaepernick (run a dangerous version of a new offense) or Gary Danielson (veteran former starter who know one really wants to start anymore).

I loved Shaun Hill. I thought that guy had a lot of moxie for a guy off the bench. I think he's the prototypical back-up QB. But he's a career .500 QB - and Joe is right, even for the really good teams, .500 for your backup is nominal!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I loved Shaun Hill. I thought that guy had a lot of moxie for a guy off the bench. I think he's the prototypical back-up QB. But he's a career .500 QB - and Joe is right, even for the really good teams, .500 for your backup is nominal!
    He might be an even better choice than Flynn.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The reality is that you probably should just collect the best talent and forget the vets. Danielson was supposed to start for a year or two to give Kosar time to learn.

But Kosar was smarter than the coaches and Danielson was hurt before the quarter pole of his first season with the Browns.

From a talent acquisition standpoint I will agree with Patler here: players are going to be fungible to the team whether the team likes it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Brian Hoyer?