Thread: Ridiculously Early 53 Man Roster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think they will keep both, Ripkowski has experience blocking from in-line tight end so I could see them keeping him over a 4th TE. People forget Kuhn has been one of the best blocking FBs in the league the past two seasons, I see him staying for one more season. IMO they wouldn't have signed him if they didn't plan on him playing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I think they will keep both, Ripkowski has experience blocking from in-line tight end so I could see them keeping him over a 4th TE. People forget Kuhn has been one of the best blocking FBs in the league the past two seasons, I see him staying for one more season. IMO they wouldn't have signed him if they didn't plan on him playing this season.
    They signed Kuhn before the draft, so I don't attach much significance to it after getting Ripkowski

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    They signed Kuhn before the draft, so I don't attach much significance to it after getting Ripkowski
    TT doesn't work like that though, he would have just not signed Kuhn and drafted a FB if he thought he was done. I like Ripkowski but hes still a late 6th round draft pick, we are SB contenders and I would much rather have Kuhn out there blocking in critical moments. Kuhn will remain the starter and I see Rip having a role similar to Ryan Taylor and Ryan Crabtree while they were here his first season then eventually taking over for Kuhn in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    TT doesn't work like that though, he would have just not signed Kuhn and drafted a FB if he thought he was done. I like Ripkowski but hes still a late 6th round draft pick, we are SB contenders and I would much rather have Kuhn out there blocking in critical moments. Kuhn will remain the starter and I see Rip having a role similar to Ryan Taylor and Ryan Crabtree while they were here his first season then eventually taking over for Kuhn in 2016.
    It's not that I think Kuhn couldn't play (as in, "done for good"), its that if Ripkowski is good enough to make the final roster (and not be targeted instead for PS), I don't see a reason to keep Kuhn. I think Kuhn was signed as a safety blanket, in case they were not able to finds a young one this year. But they did find one, and if he proves to be ready to play, Kuhn isn't needed.

In what areas could Kuhn be expected to contribute this year?
    • Special Teams - any of a number of younger guys will be better, as Kuhn has fallen off
      Lead blocker - Ripkowski's strength. Scouts said he will "wow" you at least once or twice every game. If he is ready to take these snaps, I think Kuhn is gone.
      Short yardage - GB has better options with Lacy, maybe Ripkowski, maybe the (big) 3rd back they keep.
      Third down - Lacy is growing into this role as both a receiver and a blocker.
      Pass situation extra blocker - Quarless or another TE, Lacy, maybe Ripkowski are options; but this might be the one situation where Kuhn still provides increased value.

If Ripkowski is ready to take the brunt of the load as a blocker in the running game, I think there will be reasons to keep other younger guys, not Kuhn.