Thread: Eliot Wolf staying in Green Bay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    but he certainly was presented with the circumstance and made the obvious decision at the time.
    This is patently false, unfortunately our records here don't stretch back that far. No one wanted a QB, they wanted Defensive help of skill position players.

QB was not high on the list and despite the value, people were not convinced of Rodgers and immediately everyone started complaining about drafting for the future and not for Favre's window.

The best that can be said of the public reaction is that by and large people did think this was a value pick.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is patently false, unfortunately our records here don't stretch back that far. No one wanted a QB, they wanted Defensive help of skill position players.

QB was not high on the list and despite the value, people were not convinced of Rodgers and immediately everyone started complaining about drafting for the future and not for Favre's window.

The best that can be said of the public reaction is that by and large people did think this was a value pick.
    Fans hated ted for that pick. Arrogant, stupid, as good as gone...... that was the least obvious pick I ever remember.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

That's exactly the point; Nobody, including Ted, wanted a QB in the first round or anywhere near it. However, when you're at #21 (or near it) and one of the two guys projected to be the best player/top pick in the whole draft falls to you, it's 1. a fortunate circumstance and 2. an obvious decision to make.

True, none of the GMs picking earlier chose him - that's fortunate for us. It's also possible those other teams had more pressing needs and the Packers really didn't.

It's also possible that it really wasn't a very good decision to make, but Aaron Rodgers just turned out to be so damn good - better than anybody expected - that it became a super decision.

Anyway, my original point was, being a good GM is a lot more luck and circumstance than skill and wisdom.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 01-21-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

That's exactly the point; Nobody, including Ted, wanted a QB in the first round or anywhere near it. However, when you're at #21 (or near it) and one of the two guys projected to be the best player/top pick in the whole draft falls to you, it's 1. a fortunate circumstance and 2. an obvious decision to make.
    Twenty-two teams disagree with you. That they were proven wrong argues against your anyone could do it theory.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

True, none of the GMs picking earlier chose him - that's fortunate for us. It's also possible those other teams had more pressing needs and the Packers really didn't.
    More pressing needs then the best player in the draft. More pressing needs than a hall of fame QB. If the draft were held tomorrow and ARod entered it, would he go #1 no matter who was holding that pick? Since the answer is YES, what you mean is that nobody thought he was good enough to draft ahead of their pressing needs. (since no one ever has more pressing needs than a 10+ year starting hall of fame QB)
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    More pressing needs then the best player in the draft. More pressing needs than a hall of fame QB. If the draft were held tomorrow and ARod entered it, would he go #1 no matter who was holding that pick? Since the answer is YES, what you mean is that nobody thought he was good enough to draft ahead of their pressing needs. (since no one ever has more pressing needs than a 10+ year starting hall of fame QB)
    Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Obviously when I say pressing needs, I'm talking about positions. I'll give Ted credit for drafting Aaron Rodgers; I'll even say he hasn't been a bad GM - records don't lie. If one of those other GMs did grab Rodgers earlier, though, or if he hadn't turned out to be so damn good, either Ted would be long gone or else life would be long term depressing in Packerland - kinda like the 80s.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

It's also possible that it really wasn't a very good decision to make, but Aaron Rodgers just turned out to be so damn good - better than anybody expected - that it became a super decision.

Anyway, my original point was, being a good GM is a lot more luck and circumstance than skill and wisdom.
    2005 NFL DRAFT:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2005

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...5-draft-060816

How a 2005 NFL mock draft helped the Packers get Aaron Rodgers
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau