Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First, let me make the following clear:
    - I fully expect they will re-sign Cobb, unless he gets a massive deal somewhere.
    - I want them to re-sign Cobb.

That said, I don't think all is lost if he goes elsewhere. Much of what I am hearing about Cobb being irreplaceable I heard about Walker when he was holding out, Driver when his contracts were due and when he was aging, Jennings when hiis future was debated for two years, Finley when his contract was up and when his future became doubtful and Nelson when his contract was due. To a lesser degree, there was worry about Jones departure. Now it's Cobb's turn.

I think reality is that they don't need to replace anyone, they simple reformulate a bit to take advantage of what the next guy in line has to offer.

If Cobb were to leave, I think the offense would be fine with Adams. Rodgers II could step forward at TE ("Q" is what he is at this point). With a possible return to form by Boykin (perhaps unlikely), and/or steps up by Abbrederis or Janis and another likely draft pick or two at WR and/or TE, they will be fine. Sure, each and every one is indefinite, but they don't need all of them to blossom, just one or two.

I don't want them to lose Cobb, but I will not anguish over it if they do; nor will my expectations for the upcoming season go down because of it.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    - I fully expect they will re-sign Cobb, unless he gets a massive deal somewhere.

That said, I don't think all is lost if he goes elsewhere. Much of what I am hearing about Cobb being irreplaceable I heard about Walker when he was holding out, Driver when his contracts were due and when he was aging, Jennings when hiis future was debated for two years, Finley when his contract was up and when his future became doubtful and Nelson when his contract was due. To a lesser degree, there was worry about Jones departure. Now it's Cobb's turn.

I think reality is that they don't need to replace anyone, they simple reformulate a bit to take advantage of what the next guy in line has to offer.

If Cobb were to leave, I think the offense would be fine with Adams. Rodgers II could step forward at TE ("Q" is what he is at this point). With a possible return to form by Boykin (perhaps unlikely), and/or steps up by Abbrederis or Janis and another likely draft pick or two at WR and/or TE, they will be fine. Sure, each and every one is indefinite, but they don't need all of them to blossom, just one or two.

I don't want them to lose Cobb, but I will not anguish over it if they do; nor will my expectations for the upcoming season go down because of it.
    I agree. Packers don't seem to have problems finding wide receivers. No sense busting the bank to sign Cobb. Do I want to keep him, sure, but I would rather see the money go to higher needs on the team. It will be super bowl next year so you do what ya gotta do...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    I agree. Packers don't seem to have problems finding wide receivers. No sense busting the bank to sign Cobb. Do I want to keep him, sure, but I would rather see the money go to higher needs on the team. It will be super bowl next year so you do what ya gotta do...
    exactly

ad in the fact that TT knows how to find wr's, M33 knows how to coach them up, and a-rod knows how to get the best out of him

we already have one clear cut #1 in jordy, do we really need to pay two #1s?, with our wr factory?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    exactly

ad in the fact that TT knows how to find wr's, M33 knows how to coach them up, and a-rod knows how to get the best out of him

we already have one clear cut #1 in jordy, do we really need to pay two #1s?, with our wr factory?
    I'm really torn about what to think about this. Everything you say is right, but I have to wonder, is Cobb a special player? 100 catches, 1300 yards, yes Rodgers makes his WRs better, but you can't credit him with all of those yards. The announcers are always raving about how Cobb gets open on broken plays/when Rodgers gets flushed from the pocket, with Rodgers propensity to hold the ball too long, how important is that, and is it something that can easily be found?

Of course, the announcers, especially Buck, always say that's because Cobb used to be a QB, which is a load. Being a QB in HS and as part of a wildcat formation in colledge gives you exactly zero insight into how to be a good receiver in the NFL game!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

I don't see any threat at all in Rodgers and Q is a J.A.G.; losing Cobb to me would be huge. We'd actually need to count on a Fresno State guy !
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?