Thread: Ray Rice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The part that bothers me most is the response to mob mentality. Nothing changed from the original suspension to his total ban, other than the video. They knew it was a case of domestic violence, the video didn't change that. But, public perception changed, so then the NFL changes a ruling they had already made.

Sooner or later team will conduct surveys to see who the fans want to be the starters. After all, it's better for the league to give the fans the players they want to see.

They did that with the pro bowl and nobody watches anymore.

If we are talking about an ideal way to handle this stuff it is one thing. I agree with most of Patler's points on what the NFL did wrong. If, however, we are talking about what the NFL had the right to do (even if less than ideal) that's a whole different ball of wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The part that bothers me most is the response to mob mentality. Nothing changed from the original suspension to his total ban, other than the video.
    Many people are saying this.
    I heard somebody in Ravens organization, perhaps the owner, give a very plausible explanation of what changed. He wanted to believe that something less brutal happened. He thought the woman was drunk, banged her head against the wall.

This sounds right to me. People are very good at believing what they badly hope is true. The video was a dose of reality and changed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The part that bothers me most is the response to mob mentality. Nothing changed from the original suspension to his total ban, other than the video. They knew it was a case of domestic violence, the video didn't change that. But, public perception changed, so then the NFL changes a ruling they had already made.

Sooner or later team will conduct surveys to see who the fans want to be the starters. After all, it's better for the league to give the fans the players they want to see.
    The mob is outside the offices though and they have defied it before: rules changes being the significant one.

From this side of the interent, it looks like the public railroaded the NFL. From inside it might look different. Biscotti (as someone mentioned) and Goodell have both been quoted that they thought it was a slap. If the investigation is actually thorough, maybe we get an answer to whether that is plausible or not.

In either event, basing your discipline on role that the handrail played in knocking out the woman was a bad idea without video. If they handing a standing committee for player discipline, with policies and procedures, they might learn from this.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.