View Poll Results: What is a fair profit for an average NFL owner?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 - They make their money when they sell the team.

1 3.45%
  • $10 M max. Similar to players on their second contract

0 0%
  • $10 - $20 M. Like a top line veteran player

0 0%
  • $20 - 30 M. As much as the highest paid players

2 6.90%
  • $30 - 40 M. A bit more than the top players

2 6.90%
  • $40 M+. Its a huge investments in a wildly successful business. A solid return is deserved.

24 82.76%

Thread: What is a fair profit for an NFL owner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    damn, just lost my post! Stupid auto-logout.

You're asking me to make a 'fairness' judgment again. It depends on the job - Jerry Jones once appointed himself assistant coach. What if he called himself head coach, and decided to pay himself like a top one, at $10mil/year? Al Davis could be called head of football operations, that worth a couple million. In today's salary structure, I don't think anyone would care about those numbers.

What would they care about? Using my 1982 example, $90K is 1.5% of 6 million. Today's annual NFL salary is hard to pin down, but I'm pretty sure it's over $1.5million. Let's use that number, it makes the math easy. $1.5 million is 1.5% of 100 million. If an owner was paying themselves that, it should rightly be considered profit, not an expense for the purpose of league calculations (even if Uncle Sam doesn't care).

IMO I'm not so sure that isn't happening. New England sells out their home games, and I think they have a pretty good stadium. However, their 09-10 cap number was relatively low at $97million. How much is Robert Kraft taking home? What about Clark Hunt in KC, with his league lowest cap number of $82million? (source: USA today, http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team). You might think it's unlikely, but no one knows, do they?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    damn, just lost my post! Stupid auto-logout.
    That's happened to me at least 5 times after drafting mega-posts. I am wiser now in that I save longer posts before submitting...but it is annoying.

I can bring myself to read the spirited exchanges on this dry topic, but I sure can't imagine being interested enough to do the math with numbers that won't stand still.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.