Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Patriot Scandal??

Comment woodbuck27:

I saw this report on TSN this morning. Getting to the science of Deflate-gate this video covers all that, Did under inflation of the ball in the opening half in any way have any real influence on that game. Even the opposition Indy players say NO. That game pure and simple was about New England dominance.

In any case here is the science of the matter and might prompt the question. Why all the rage let the best play football.:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/sport-scienc...-gate-1.188711

SPORTS SCIENCE: Deflate-gate
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    This is getting stupid. The NFL needs to squash this now.
    Thats how they knew there was a problem in the first place.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

A radio show (certainly not the best source of information) did a test of footballs inflated 2 psi lower than the rec. They said it was easy to detect and easier to squeeze the ball. This make sense to me without doing an experiment on my own.

Advanced NFL Stats has numbers on the incredible non-fumbling of the Patriots on their home turf (not sure how this jives with each team preparing the the footballs for the offense unless the ball deflation operation is conducted in the bowels of the home stadium and not on the sideline).

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Comment woodbuck27:

I saw this report on TSN this morning. Getting to the science of Deflate-gate this video covers all that, Did under inflation of the ball in the opening half in any way have any real influence on that game. Even the opposition Indy players say NO. That game pure and simple was about New England dominance.

In any case here is the science of the matter and might prompt the question. Why all the rage let the best play football.:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/sport-scienc...-gate-1.188711

SPORTS SCIENCE: Deflate-gate
    The rules are there for a reason. Just because one doesn't like a rule doesn't mean they get to ignore or violate it.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    The rules are there for a reason. Just because one doesn't like a rule doesn't mean they get to ignore or violate it.
    The point of your post?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    A radio show (certainly not the best source of information) did a test of footballs inflated 2 psi lower than the rec. They said it was easy to detect and easier to squeeze the ball. This make sense to me without doing an experiment on my own.

Advanced NFL Stats has numbers on the incredible non-fumbling of the Patriots on their home turf (not sure how this jives with each team preparing the the footballs for the offense unless the ball deflation operation is conducted in the bowels of the home stadium and not on the sideline).

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932
    This is a pretty wicked analysis.

A bit from that article...

The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home! The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

much to-do about nothing. teams should be able to have the ball(s) the way they want...that or completely take away that duty and put it in the hands of the league/officials.

The point of your post?
    You posted "why all the rage and let the best play football". I gave a response. Pretty straightforward.

Hoody genius just had another press conference and shed more light on the matter.

In this effort he gives the NFL all they really need to simply let this matter go.

Here it is:

Handling the ball caused (friction) to temporarily increase the air pressure as it was measured at game time.

Two hours later the balls cool and correspondingly the balls interior pressure (psi) drops.

Pressure and Temperature being directly proportional.

It's over it's done ...

Troy Aikman should have stood mum.

Hoody genius just had another press conference and shed more light on the matter.

In this effort he gives the NFL all they really need to simply let this matter go.

Here it is:

Handling the ball caused (friction) to temporarily increase the air pressure as it was measured at game time.

Two hours later the balls cool and correspondingly the balls interior pressure (psi) drops.

Pressure and Temperature being directly proportional.

It's over it's done ...

Troy Aikman should have stood mum.
    All 12 of the Colts balls were at proper pressure and played in the same, not so cold temperature (51 degrees at gamete) in the same game at the same time. Measured at the same time.

[WUSA9] Let’s assume that each ball was inflated to the minimum pressure required to meet the NFL rules regarding proper inflation: 12.5 psi. We convert psi (English) to pascals (Metric), which comes out to 86,184.5 Pa and assume room temperature (68ºF/20ºC) which converts to 293.15 K (Kelvin, the Metric equivalent). We now have,

86,184.5 Pa / 293.15 K = p2 / T2.

We’re down to two variables. But we also know the temperature on the field at the start of the game was reported as 51ºF/10.6ºC (283.15 K). Plug it in…

86,184.5 Pa / 293.15 K = p2 / 283.15 K

Neat! Look, we’re left with a solvable equation with one variable, p2, which is the pressure of the air inside the ball at game time! Let’s solve this riddle…

Isolate the lone variable:

(86,184.5 Pa / 293.15 K) * 283.15 K = p2
    83,244.6 Pa = p2 —> 12.1 psi

83,244.6 Pa is 12.1 psi, so, according to our calculations, the balls could have been under-inflated by 0.4 psi on the field. This makes sense given the very first equation, which shows that a decrease in temperature would force a decrease in pressure, assuming the same volume of air in the football.
    Temperature drop accounts for .4 PSI. The balls were 2 PSI under inflated. And this assumes the refs did not wait, and measure the PSI immediately after the game out on the field.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/scienc...ith-our-magic/

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    much to-do about nothing. teams should be able to have the ball(s) the way they want...that or completely take away that duty and put it in the hands of the league/officials.
    Yes. They could play with zero psi to stop all throwing attacks. Why inflate them at all?

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    All 12 of the Colts balls were at proper pressure and played in the same, not so cold temperature (51 degrees at gamete) in the same game at the same time. Measured at the same time.
    PB that's what I was hoping one of the reporters would have asked Hoody at the presser. It seems an obvious question to what Hoody was throwing out there as a possible reason for the low pressure in NE's footballs.
    Plus, why the hell is the league allowing the Patriots to basically investigate themselves on this one?
    Last edited by TravisWilliams23; 01-24-2015 at 05:52 PM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    You posted "why all the rage and let the best play football". I gave a response. Pretty straightforward.
    not when you consider the source
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

As a fan I'm interesting in something better than 'hating on Bill Bilichick, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots' As a FAN The NFL's positions on rules broken or not are way beyond my concern. Why? it's simply become such a mess in that arena and getting worse. The rules are simply too complicated.

It seems to me that the NFL has opened up this can of worms and now it has to get out of it. How it arrives there is the real story.

I'd simply RULE that in the future the balls are all checked on some random basis. That all teams are well aware that this will be done and the results used to determine any future penalty.

Again as I posted earlier. For now it's about control and focusing on playing football.

Here's the NFL Players Association's stance on this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...investigation/

Matthew Slater: NFLPA has “instructed” Patriots players to “reserve comment” on deflation investigation

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 24, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-24-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Test ... Testing ... Take One !

Does this ball look deflated to you?

Now for the real test:

Does this ball look deflated to you?

What does that suggest?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-24-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Yes. They could play with zero psi to stop all throwing attacks. Why inflate them at all?
    wow...you missed that by a mile. whoever the qb, if he likes the ball at a particular pressure let him have it the way. if brady likes it at 10.5 and flacco likes it at 11.25 who gives a crap? no one has an "advantage".

wow...you missed that by a mile. whoever the qb, if he likes the ball at a particular pressure let him have it the way. if brady likes it at 10.5 and flacco likes it at 11.25 who gives a crap? no one has an "advantage".
    That's bang on !

The 'Keep It Simple' Rule.

It assists digestion.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-24-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Why not let each team decide on the length and width of their home field like baseball?

There is a rule book that all trams must follow. Seems simple to me.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

As a fan I'm interesting in something better than 'hating on Bill Bilichick, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots' As a FAN The NFL's positions on rules broken or not are way beyond my concern. Why? it's simply become such a mess in that arena and getting worse. The rules are simply too complicated.

It seems to me that the NFL has opened up this can of worms and now it has to get out of it. How it arrives there is the real story.

I'd simply RULE that in the future the balls are all checked on some random basis. That all teams are well aware that this will be done and the results used to determine any future penalty.

Again as I posted earlier. For now it's about control and focusing on playing football.

Here's the NFL Players Association's stance on this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...investigation/

Matthew Slater: NFLPA has “instructed” Patriots players to “reserve comment” on deflation investigation

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 24, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
    I did not "hate on Brady, Belichick, or the Pats" in my post and there's no way to even infer that. Your original post made it sound like you think that this rule is not a big deal and thus breaking it is meaningless. The rule is there for a reason, and all the teams have to abide by it. Again, just because one does not like a rule does not give one permission to break it.

The NFL didn't create this mess, the Patriots did. I just don't think the NFL is going to do a good job in handling it.