Thread: Official Training Camp Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In a changing world recency bias is very relevant. We have done this argument to death over the years and we have had a top 3 QB most of them and one Owl appearance to show for it. And that chart means not so much since league ranking of the QB takes a lot of things into factor. It also shows the "winning QB of the superb owl", not the 4 QBs in the championship game.

I'm not arguing that you WANT a bad QB, I'm just saying that great D and a well balanced team is MORE important than a top 5 QB...especially in a one year window of rankings. Flacco, Dilfer, Foles, Jimmy G, Krapernick and I could go on, have all had Owl wins and appearances. They are not great QBs. Yes, Maholmes, Brady, Brees have also won. Having a great QB gives you an edge, but having a great D is more important. How many Owls did Brady win with a D outside the top 10??
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    And that chart means not so much since league ranking of the QB takes a lot of things into factor. It also shows the "winning QB of the superb owl", not the 4 QBs in the championship game.
    The argument is not about any particular measure. There is not a perfect stat. There are dozens of indicators one can think of to show the importance of the QB position. I thought the 4 Championship QBs cast a good broad net. I thought to look for 2x JAGS because it says a lot about the era the guy played in.

If you think that a top defense is more important than a top QB that is a plausible theory. My perception is that it is 1980s, 1990s thinking. There are many stats to look at. Somebody with a lot of research time could build a case one way or another. I've asked Pepe to get on it but he was non-responsive.