Thread: 2020 NFL DRAFT WIDE RECEIVER TIERS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

2020 NFL DRAFT WIDE RECEIVER TIERS

Why Tiers?
    Player tiers is a way to group players at the same position with similar production. Putting players into tiers could be one of the most useful techniques used to understand player value. Tiers give you a sense of how many players are available for a particular position, and at what level. Simply put I am not splitting hairs on how I think is better or high ranked.

Wide Receiver Tiers - After reading about 100 analysis on receivers the biggest negative you will always see is how they handle press coverage. I find it ironic as you also see negatives on the players at the corners spot for not being able to play press at the college level. Anyways, all rookies will basically struggle against press their rookie year. The ones that figure it out the fastest will have the best chance to contribute in a big way in 2020.

Tier 1: The Elites - First round of the 2020 Draft.
    I had a few guys in this tier last year that fell into the second round, but regardless this group in 2019 produced in the NFL. The 2020 group has remained pretty consistent since the college football season ended. After the draft I was waiting for someone to jump into this tier.

Henry Ruggs III Alabama, 5’11” 188 - He offers something that nobody else in this tier or any other tier has, and that is elite, top of the food chain speed. He doesn’t have the frame or size of some but he is explosive with a 42” vertical jump at the Combine. What I like about Ruggs is his ability to use his speed on crossing routes by creating the separation in man coverage and by also out running the zone across the middle of the field. Large hands are on display while catching the ball in traffic and away from his body. Ruggs will have to get better fighting off press coverage and breaking free of physical corners.

CeeDee Lamb Oklahoma, 6’2” 198 - Lamb could be the complete package in the NFL. Some might think he will slip in the draft because of his average 40 time, but in reality it shouldn’t impact his status as one of the elite receivers in this draft. He is a threat at all three receiver positions and has the experience and has crafted his skills to attack all levels of the football field. He does a good job at working back to the QB on broken plays and finding the soft spots in the zone. Lamb could struggle adjusting to an NFL offense and playing against the elite of the elites in the NFL, as the Big 12 is not known for defense. He will have to refine his game and take away the wasted motion in his route running.

Jerry Jeudy Alabama 6’1” 193 - Jeudy is a polished receiver that works his routes extremely well, to the point where he is at the top of this draft class in his ability to run all his routes with polish and speed. Quick acceleration helps him create seperation from even the best college corners. Juedy could become a viable All Pro type receiver at the next level if he adds some muscle mass to his frame while keeping his quickness. If Jeudy improves his ability to go after deep balls he should be an elite threat at every level of the field.

Justin Jefferson LSU 6’2” 202 - Better than the rest at contested catches and in 50/50 balls than the other three receivers, but might not be as polish of a route runner as the others in the top tier. It might be a stretch to list Jefferson in the top tier but his production in his last year at LSU can’t be overlooked. The all out spread attack that LSU implemented this year might have been part of his offensive explosion. His combine answered some questions about his athletic ability and speed.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 03-05-2020 at 10:15 AM.