Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There hasn't been a public word of unhappiness from Perry since the draft, and even his comments leading up to and after the draft have been greatly exaggerated. I can't really blame the guy for saying he's a better fit in a 4-3 because I think he is. Nobody outside the clubhouse knows what went down in the offseason. Some reporters speculating based on a comment by McCarthy that could have meant a number of different things.

BTW, here's what Perry said after the draft:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...149243245.html

Initially, Perry thought he might be more suited to play in a 4-3 defense, telling the Detroit News in February at the NFL combine, "I prefer a 4-3. I like to keep my hand in the dirt. But as long as I am rushing and getting to the quarterback, I am fine."

But the Packers play a 3-4, and Perry could play outside linebacker or line up next to B.J. Raji on the end if needed.

"You know what, I'm open-minded," Perry said Friday morning. "I was open-minded about this whole process. I knew I could get picked to a 3-4 team as well as a 4-3 team. I knew I could go anywhere and I don't have to adjust to anything. I felt like I had the ability, I have the skills to play in the 3-4 and I love the scheme that the Packers are in."
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    There hasn't been a public word of unhappiness from Perry since the draft, and even his comments leading up to and after the draft have been greatly exaggerated. I can't really blame the guy for saying he's a better fit in a 4-3 because I think he is. Nobody outside the clubhouse knows what went down in the offseason. Some reporters speculating based on a comment by McCarthy that could have meant a number of different things.

BTW, here's what Perry said after the draft:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...149243245.html
    After he was drafted by a 3-4 team I'm not sure what else you could expect a guy to say. He's been diplomatic but I think the following quotes say a lot more than you're willing to read into them.

At the NFL Combine after gaining 20 pounds since declaring for the draft in what I'd say was a pretty blatant attempt to enhance his profile as a DE and reduce it as an OLB:

"Some people have a better edge getting off the ball with their hand in the dirt," said Perry. "I’ve been playing it a long time now, and I have experience in that. Being put further away from what you’re used to doing makes you a little uneasy."

If I'm about to get drafted, the last thing I'd be doing is talking about any kind of "uneasiness" about doing anything whatsoever a team may ask me to do to help their team succeed.

I also think there's little doubt that Winston Moss' OTA terse quote "Nick Perry in my book has done absolutely zero," combined with McCarthy's only slightly more measured statements at the time, spoke volumes about their perspective on his unwillingness to participate in OTA's.

It's speculation to read into it sure, but without getting into the logic of why both coaches may or may not have chosen to take a less confrontational public position on the subject of Nick Perry, my opinion is that it's no stretch to conclude the coaches weren't happy with his offseason approach.

As I said previously I think Perry can play, though he may be his own biggest problem.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    ... At the NFL Combine after gaining 20 pounds since declaring for the draft in what I'd say was a pretty blatant attempt to enhance his profile as a DE and reduce it as an OLB:

"Some people have a better edge getting off the ball with their hand in the dirt," said Perry. "I’ve been playing it a long time now, and I have experience in that. Being put further away from what you’re used to doing makes you a little uneasy."

... I also think there's little doubt that Winston Moss' OTA terse quote "Nick Perry in my book has done absolutely zero," combined with McCarthy's only slightly more measured statements at the time, spoke volumes about their perspective on his unwillingness to participate in OTA's.
    But now we have gone from attitude to draft prep. Perry, presumably was trying to get drafted as high as possible for maximum cash and he and his agent might have thought that DE was the best bet according to what teams were telling them. After the draft, Perry told the press the Packers were not concerned about the weight. He has since lost 5 of those extra pounds.

Moss came back to Wilde and told him that his words were misconstrued about Perry. He meant Perry would be starting off with a blank slate. No history or baggage would carry over to his new coach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    I'm talking about his attitude based on the combination of his words and actions. My opinion is that he was trying his damndest to preclude teams from projecting him to OLB where he didn't want to play. He obviously felt it was the best thing for him or he wouldn't have done it. Sure he said he'll play anywhere as long as he's "rushing the quarterback."

I think he would have best served the team who drafted him to wait and confer with them before throwing 20 lbs on so quickly. That's not natural and probably didn't serve his health in the long-run or his agility as an OLB.

That said, I'm not uncomfortable with people defending Perry. I'm not overly inclined to attack him. I don't think he should be cut or traded or anything of the such by a longshot.

It's not a black-and-white situation and I'm inferring things based on the entirety of what I'm seeing, reading and hearing so I fully acknowledge there are many spots along the attitude spectrum between Bart Starr and Terrell Owens that people will place him on. He's in the middle somewhere. He puts forth a reasonable public persona for sure. All the information I'm processing leads me to believe there's as least a small flame causing the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I think he would have best served the team who drafted him to wait and confer with them before throwing 20 lbs on so quickly. That's not natural and probably didn't serve his health in the long-run or his agility as an OLB..
    You're inferences are illogical. But the Packers have apparently not asked him to lose the weight. We knew all about Finley's preferred weight from both sides and he was a more high profile player looking for a contract. If Perry and the team were debating his weight, I think it likely would have made the news.

Serious question: did he actually gain 20 pounds after his last college year? There isn't much time to do that before a combine.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You're inferences are illogical. But the Packers have apparently not asked him to lose the weight. We knew all about Finley's preferred weight from both sides and he was a more high profile player looking for a contract. If Perry and the team were debating his weight, I think it likely would have made the news.

Serious question: did he actually gain 20 pounds after his last college year? There isn't much time to do that before a combine.
    Sorry Vince. That should have said "Your inferences are logical". And the possessive form or you and not trying to claim you ARE an inference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

He's listed at 250 on his USC page, which I would think they'd tend to fluff higher for a defensive end... He's listed on his combine profile at 271, which I think would be very accurate. The Packers now list him at 265 as you said earlier PB.

In fairness, he could have gained some of the weight during his last year at USC. I do recall that he garnered attention when he weighed in surprisingly heavy at the combine though so he definitely made a concerted effort to put on weight pre-combine.

Can't answer the question as to the Packers preferred playing weight for him - though there's little question that health and agility in space have been issues 1 and 2 for him.

He's been playing opposite/with Neal with the 2's for the most part I believe backing up Matthews while Neal's been backing up Peppers at elephant. Elephant is probably Perry's best spot too, though I'd say he's better all-around at either spot at this point than the rest of the guys (after the top 4) on the outside. Assuming Elliott makes the squad there's another elephant-oriented guy who looks like liability in coverage/space against receiving TE's, slotmen and backs.