Thread: Reasons for Hope on Defense 2017 edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Everyone moaning about Capers refuses to remember its been the defense rather than the offense playing the best ball in the postseason, 3 out of the last 4 years.

Its still too uneven, they get blown out WAY too often, but Dom has delivered more than the offense lately in the postseason.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Everyone moaning about Capers refuses to remember its been the defense rather than the offense playing the best ball in the postseason, 3 out of the last 4 years.

Its still too uneven, they get blown out WAY too often, but Dom has delivered more than the offense lately in the postseason.
    Not sure I quite follow your rationale PB. I don't remember losing many playoff games only giving up 20 points. I do agree that the offensive production versus the defensive production is very uneven and closing the gap is really what we need in a vague sort of explanation.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Not sure I quite follow your rationale PB. I don't remember losing many playoff games only giving up 20 points. I do agree that the offensive production versus the defensive production is very uneven and closing the gap is really what we need in a vague sort of explanation.
    Lets take a look.

2012- Held the Vikings to 10 points, but then had no answer for the read option. Primarily Eric Walden's issue, but nearly everyone on the D was at fault once.
    2013- Lost wildcard weekend, held 49ers to 23 points...20 most of the game.
    2014- Held the cowpies to 21 points, got 6? picks against seattle in championship game held seattle to 7 points through 3 Q. 22 in regulation. Offense couldn't put it away despite all that.
    2015- Held Redskins to 18, Held Cardinals to 10 in 3 Q, 20 in regulation...again, offense couldn't (wouldn't?) put it away...lost in OT.
    2016- Held Giants to 13 points, but stunk on ice the next 2.

So, looking at 2013/14/15 I would say the D was up to the task in the playoffs.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Lets take a look.

2012- Held the Vikings to 10 points, but then had no answer for the read option. Primarily Eric Walden's issue, but nearly everyone on the D was at fault once.
    2013- Lost wildcard weekend, held 49ers to 23 points...20 most of the game.
    2014- Held the cowpies to 21 points, got 6? picks against seattle in championship game held seattle to 7 points through 3 Q. 22 in regulation. Offense couldn't put it away despite all that.
    2015- Held Redskins to 18, Held Cardinals to 10 in 3 Q, 20 in regulation...again, offense couldn't (wouldn't?) put it away...lost in OT.
    2016- Held Giants to 13 points, but stunk on ice the next 2.

So, looking at 2013/14/15 I would say the D was up to the task in the playoffs.
    Haha, just now saw this Bobble. Thanks but already looked it up. I think the problem is with consistency. I wouldn't really say either side played their best ball. Offense or defense.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Haha, just now saw this Bobble. Thanks but already looked it up. I think the problem is with consistency. I wouldn't really say either side played their best ball. Offense or defense.
    Agreed, but if the narrative is that we are wasting Rodgers, I would argue that he needs to put 24 on the board in regulation to justify that argument.

Consistency would be good. A Plan C to avoid a blowout would also be welcome.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Agree 100%. Its been a gripe of mine that the vaunted MM offenses seem to struggle in the postseason.

Not saying Capers D has been awesome, but generally adequate. I can't put a finger on why, its possible he game plans more intensely in the post season?