Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 20 Quarterbacks To Play the Game (NFL/AFL)

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    He was in the Championship Game of his league every year of his career. There isn't another QB, let alone player at any position that I can think of on any level except maybe high school who can make this claim.
    Every player who graduated from North Dakota State the last two years would qualify, if you are counting high schoolers and college players.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    UW_Whitewater football program.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Kurt Warner
    Rams, Giants, Cardinals

Kurt Warner was a nobody from Iowa. He played for little known Northern Iowa. He was able to get a short stint in training camp with the Packers in 1994. He managed to make the roster for the St. Louis Rams in 1998 under famed coach Dick Vermeil. In 1999 The Rams signed Trent Green to be their starting QB, but he was injured in preseason, and the starting gig was given to Warner. Warner would go on to lead the Rams to victory in the Super Bowl that season running a high speed offense that saw Warner pass for 41 touchdown passes breaking Brett Favre's NFC record of 38. Warner would go on to win the league's MVP that season. Warner would earn 4 trips to the Pro Bowl, the 1999 MVP and the 2001 MVP from the AP. His career with the Rams diminished after their appearance in the 2001 Super Bowl and he eventually became the back up to Eli Manning in New York. a Year later he moved to Arizona and led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008. He retired after the 2009 season.

Years Played: : 12
    Games Started:116
    Regular Season Record: 67-49
    Playoff Record: 9-4
    Completion %: 65.5
    Yards per Attempt: 7.9
    Yards per Completion: 12.1
    Yards per Game: 260
    TD to INT ratio: 208-84
    QB rating: 93.7
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 9
    Game Winning Drives: 14
    Rushing Yards: 286
    Yards per Carry: 1.7
    Rushing TDs: 3
    Nice choice Deputy.....for a Top 20 pick.

I pay attention to and respect him as an analyst on the NFL Network.

He's as 'down to earth' as you may find as an analyst.

I always considered Kurt Warner ........ 'my kind of a lunch box' guy.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I hate Kurt Warner and everything he stands for.

Bullshit !

He's absolutely your sort of guy.

You can't fool this Ole Dog.....Deputy.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Aaron Rodgers 6-2 223lbs

Packers

Aaron Rodgers is the youngest player to show up on this list. He is a two time NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, a five time Pro Bowler, and a two time All-Pro. Rodgers is the prototypical modern era QB with a high number of touchdowns to a very low number of interceptions. he is one of the most accurate QBs of all time and has the highest QB rating of any quarterback to play the game. Depending on how long Rodgers stays in the game and continues to play at a high level when he retires he could easily be considered a top ten QB of all time. Unlike many on this list Rodgers had to sit and learn the game for three years. It wasn't until Brett Favre was traded that the door to the starting QB job in Green Bay was opened to Rodgers. He took the job and ran with it demonstrating that the Packers could continue one the same path that they were one with Favre.

Years Played: 11
    Games Started: 119
    Regular Season Record: 80-39
    Playoff Record: 7-6
    Completion %: 65
    Yards per Attempt: 8.0
    Yards per Completion: 12.3
    Yards per Game: 257
    TD to INT ratio:
    257-93
    QB rating: 104.1
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 8
    Game Winning Drives: 12
    Rushing Yards: 2175
    Yards per Carry: 5.0
    Rushing TDs: 21
    If he returns to playing like we know he can and wins another ring before he retires he'll shoot up this list big time.

Because...?

Jim Kelly 6-3 217lbs

Bills

Jim Kelly was drafted out of the University of Miami in the famed 1983 Quarterback draft class. He was the third QB taken in that draft by the Buffalo Bills. The only problem was that he didn't want to play for Buffalo and went to play in the USFL in Houston. When the USFL folded he had no choice but to pack his bags for Buffalo. After a rough start with the franchise and teammates Kelly found his calling card in the high pace no huddle offense that was named the "K-Gun". With the no huddle offense Kelly would lead the Bills' high powered offense to four straight Super Bowls, none of which they would actually win. Kelly could never seem to play his best game when it mattered the most. Kelly was a 5 time Pro Bowler, 1991 first team All Pro, lead the NFL in passing Touchdowns and passer rating in 1991.

Years Played: 11
    Games Started: 160
    Regular Season Record: 101-59
    Playoff Record: 9-8
    Completion %: 60.1
    Yards per Attempt: 7.4
    Yards per Completion: 12.3
    Yards per Game: 221
    TD to INT ratio: 237-175
    QB rating: 84.4
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 22
    Game Winning Drives: 29
    Rushing Yards: 1049
    Yards per Carry: 3.4
    Rushing TDs: 7

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Every player who graduated from North Dakota State the last two years would qualify, if you are counting high schoolers and college players.
    Good call. But Division II is pretty close to high school. I think the hierarchy is: Division I > Division II > U of Minnesota > high school. Not sure about the last two.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I love Kurt Warner. He is one of my all time favorite NFL guys.

What does he stand for?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

^^^^^
    Christianity, being a good person.

^^^^^
    Christianity, being a good person.
    Oh, now I see why you hate him.

Jim Kelly > Aaron Rodgers

I gotta think about that one for a while. But I am pretty sure I don't agree.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Where is the top end of the list?

Obviously a lot of people around here can't stand the thought of being labeled a homer - Aaron Rodgers at #17? Come On! If he isn't in the top five all time right now, something is pretty messed up.

Factoring in all items - stats, duration of high level performance, and yes, championships even though I consider that the least of the three, since it is, after all, a team sport, I'd say we Packer fans are blessed to have 3 in the top 7 or 8. I'd put Favre at #1 - whine about homerism if you will, but who is better over duration of his career? Elway? probably not. Montana? definitely not. Unitas? Maybe, probably not. Peyton? Doubtful. Marino? as was stated, in some ways. Brady? not yet anyway. Namath? No Way. Otto Graham? also rated too low on that list, but not on a par with Favre. Sammy Baugh? before even my time/the game was too different then.

I'll put Favre #1, Elway #2, Marino #3, Rodgers #4, Montana #5, Tarkenton #6, Starr #7, Peyton #8, Graham #9, Brady #10.

Oops, I forgot Unitas. Put him at #9 and move Graham and Brady down one.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The bottom line with Rodgers is that he isn't finished yet nor is he close to finished. He is not even the best QB of his era and like I have mentioned the tough thing about all this is jumping fro era to era with how the game was played and how the game was called by officials. Rodgers, Manninng, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger all play in the current era where the passing game is emphasized by the league. We have record setting play currently going on in the NFL and I don't necessarily think it is because the QBs are all that much better than QBs of the past.

To be honest Rodgers wasn't even on my original list. Its just that his stats really jump off the charts, but a lot of QB stats jump out from 2007 on. Don't you think it is weird that Brett Favre had his best statistical season ever at the age of 40 in 2009?
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 01-21-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Where is the top end of the list?
    *SIGH*

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Barkeep, I'll have another bourbon and water over here.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Len Dawson 6-0 190lbs

Chiefs, Pittsburgh, Browns

Dawson was a first round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but did not see the field consistently until his former college coach Hank Stramm picked him up to play for the Dallas Texans of the AFL. He was the AFL MVP in 1962 as the Texans beat the Oilers for the AFL Championship. The next year the Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs. Dawson would go on to win 4 AFL passing titles, Over the span between 1962-1969 Len Dawson completed more touchdown passes than any other professional QB. In 1966 Dawson lead the Chiefs to another AFL Title and the Chiefs earned the right to face the Green Bay Packers in the first ever Super Bowl. The Chiefs would fall to the Packers but Dawson was able to take the Chiefs back to the Super Bowl in 1969 after missing five games with a knee injury. Dawson and the Chiefs defeated the Vikings to win Super Bowl IV. He was named MVP of the game. Dawson managed to be named to the AFL/NFL pro bowl/all-star team 7 times and the AFL All Pro Team 2 times.

Years Played: 19
    Games Started: 159
    Regular Season Record: 94-57-8
    Playoff Record: 5-3
    Completion %: 57.1
    Yards per Attempt: 7.7
    Yards per Completion: 13.4
    Yards per Game: 136
    TD to INT ratio: 239-183
    QB rating: 82.6
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 15
    Game Winning Drives: 18
    Rushing Yards: 1293
    Yards per Carry: 4.4
    Rushing TDs: 43

Fran Tarkenton 6-0 190lbs

Vikings, Giants

Fran Tarkenton was a 9 time pro bowler for the Vikings and the Giants. His hectic style in the backfield in Minnesota frustrated his coach and led to him being traded to the Giants in 1968. He was then traded back to the Vikings in 1972. It was in the 1970s that Fran took the Vikings to 3 Super Bowls winning NFC Titles in 1973, 1974, and 1976. He was named the NFL's offensive player of the year in 1975, NFL MVP, and also earning All-Pro honors the same year.

Years Played: 18
    Games Started: 239
    Regular Season Record: 124-109-6
    Playoff Record: 6-5
    Completion %: 57
    Yards per Attempt: 7.3
    Yards per Completion: 12.8
    Yards per Game: 191
    TD to INT ratio: 342-266
    QB rating: 80.4
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 30
    Game Winning Drives: 34
    Rushing Yards: 3674
    Yards per Carry: 5.4
    Rushing TDs: 32
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 01-21-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Fran Tarkenton 6-0 190lbs

Rushing Yards: 3674
    Yards per Carry: 32
    Rushing TDs: 5.4
    Really? No, it's 32 rushing TDs, 675 attempts, and 5.4 yards/attempt