Thread: Jeff Hafley Packers New DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Quay might end up as the strong side OLB in this scheme. Or maybe Preston can play that position. I would have been concerned years ago, but schemes kind of blend together now. This guy has a background in multiple types of Ds so I suspect he can and better be able to adjust to his on field talent. The most important factor imo is playing aggressive on 3rd downs. No more lining up in a way where we concede most of the yards and then pray we can make a tackle. Or playing the theory we have for a decade of hoping the other teams O makes a mistake before they march all the way down the field. Todays offenses are too good for that theory. You need to dictate the game to them.
    For those of you Rats who, unlike me, actually pay attention to the details and schemes and players and know a little bit (again, unlike me), I have a question: from what you've seen of the rookie safety seventh-rounder, Anthony Johnson (I think that's the name), does he "fit" at either of the safety positions in this new scheme? As a former corner, I would think maybe he would, but like I said, I know very little.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    For those of you Rats who, unlike me, actually pay attention to the details and schemes and players and know a little bit (again, unlike me), I have a question: from what you've seen of the rookie safety seventh-rounder, Anthony Johnson (I think that's the name), does he "fit" at either of the safety positions in this new scheme? As a former corner, I would think maybe he would, but like I said, I know very little.
    I would think he's best suited at either strong safety or slot corner. He has corner coverage skills and a willingness to hit. I'm not sure he's been asked to play single high safety either at Iowa St. or Green Bay, so hard to say if he could do it. Pretty good writeup on him from last year: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-iowa-...aft-board-2023
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Its just hard to say. As I said somewhere we need an eraser like Earl Thomas. I have not watched Johnson at all to be honest, but we need an instinctual safety who has a feel for where the ball is about to go. Someone like...Rasul Douglas maybe. I'm not sure if Johnson is that or not. None of our current corners convert to that skillset though (that I can tell). And we have no legit Safeties on the roster so...
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Its just hard to say. As I said somewhere we need an eraser like Earl Thomas. I have not watched Johnson at all to be honest, but we need an instinctual safety who has a feel for where the ball is about to go. Someone like...Rasul Douglas maybe. I'm not sure if Johnson is that or not. None of our current corners convert to that skillset though (that I can tell). And we have no legit Safeties on the roster so...
    Individually, no we don't have that kind of personnel. Neither do most teams. However, adapting the scheme to the personnel like Barry (grudgingly I think) did the last few games can make good but not great players look damn good and get the job done.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Individually, no we don't have that kind of personnel. Neither do most teams. However, adapting the scheme to the personnel like Barry (grudgingly I think) did the last few games can make good but not great players look damn good and get the job done.
    Finally, something that we can agree upon. The best DC are able to adjust their plan to maximize the talent of the players. They are also smart enough to watch a game and see that their plan isn’t working and adjust on the fly.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Finally, something that we can agree upon. The best DC are able to adjust their plan to maximize the talent of the players. They are also smart enough to watch a game and see that their plan isn’t working and adjust on the fly.
    I've adjusted my fly many times before.

The key is "maximizing the talent of the players." If you have players with a certain skill set, you put them in positions to use those skills, and try to keep them out of situations that ask them to do things they don't do well, just because it's your "system." That was apparent in the two Minny games - was it last year? - where in the first one, Joe Barely didn't match up Alexander with Jefferson, and Jefferson went wild. Second game, Barely did match Alexander up, and Jefferson was much quieter.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack