Thread: JS ARTICLE "WITH SB IN SIGHT< RODGERS DOES NOT DELIVER

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    A turnover then or anytime thereafter was pretty much it, as was a turnover during any of the three previous plays. You can't play the game expecting to turn it over if you play anyway but the most cautiously.
    Once you are in FG territory, a TO is a game reversal, game ending error.

Prior to being in FG territory, its game ending only.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Once you are in FG territory, a TO is a game reversal, game ending error.

Prior to being in FG territory, its game ending only.
    A difference without a distinction. Either way you lose. Besides, having 1st and 10 at the 36 likely was not yet in FG territory. That would have been a 54 yard attempt, perhaps not reachable in the rain and swirling winds at Seattle.

A difference without a distinction. Either way you lose. Besides, having 1st and 10 at the 36 likely was not yet in FG territory. That would have been a 54 yard attempt, perhaps not reachable in the rain and swirling winds at Seattle.
    Not at all. Virtually any risk is worth taking to get in FG range. To fail to get there is a loss. A turnover is loss. The only differential is making enough yardage to get a FG.

Once there, then incomplete or failed runs may ruin your chance to win, but only a turnover prevents you from an attempt to tie and play on. I don't know what Crosby's range was that day, but at the 36 its better odds than in the other half of the field.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Not at all. Virtually any risk is worth taking to get in FG range. To fail to get there is a loss. A turnover is loss. The only differential is making enough yardage to get a FG.

Once there, then incomplete or failed runs may ruin your chance to win, but only a turnover prevents you from an attempt to tie and play on. I don't know what Crosby's range was that day, but at the 36 its better odds than in the other half of the field.
    So, play to tie in bad whether in perhaps the most difficult environment in the league, just because you are at the 36 rather than the 40 or 42? Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Especially on the road, play to win and settle for the tie if you must.

So, play to tie in bad whether in perhaps the most difficult environment in the league, just because you are at the 36 rather than the 40 or 42? Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Especially on the road, play to win and settle for the tie if you must.
    This is where it gets hard to parse. How much of the entire game's playcalling was an effort to protect that calf? His one big run cost him as he was even more immobile after it. In Dallas in the second half, moving more seemed to limber up his leg. In Seattle, it seemed to get worse from a movement standpoint.

The 35 is the most commonly cited yard marker for FG range, not including game and kicker conditions. So I don't think changing the plan at the 36 is far fetched at all. They have done it before immediately after entering scoring range.

The 35 is the most commonly cited yard marker for FG range, not including game and kicker conditions. So I don't think changing the plan at the 36 is far fetched at all. They have done it before immediately after entering scoring range.
    Game decisions absolutely have to take into consideration the existing conditions. To ignore them is idiotic. I believe most of the coaches use the pregame opinion of the kickers and ST coaches to determine FG range for that day, and even modify it as conditions change. The 35 is for broadcasters and fans, not rule of thumb for coaches.

This is where it gets hard to parse. How much of the entire game's playcalling was an effort to protect that calf? His one big run cost him as he was even more immobile after it. In Dallas in the second half, moving more seemed to limber up his leg. In Seattle, it seemed to get worse from a movement standpoint.
    When trailing with less than two minutes left, there is nothing to protect. At that point, Rodgers himself needed to throw out caution, and do whatever he was able to, no matter how compromised by injury he was. There is no longer reason to be "smart" with it, as MM and his players are prone to say.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    When trailing with less than two minutes left, there is nothing to protect. At that point, Rodgers himself needed to throw out caution, and do whatever he was able to, no matter how compromised by injury he was. There is no longer reason to be "smart" with it, as MM and his players are prone to say.
    How do you know he didn't?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

If throwing caution to the wind drops you to the ground (see Lions game), it has gained you nothing.