Thread: R.I.P. - Bob Suter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I went to Bob's visitation last night. It was scheduled to be from 3:00 to 7:00. We got there at about 3:15, and the line was already so long we did not get to the family until about 6:00. When we left, the line was much, much longer than when we got there. I have no idea how long it lasted into the night, nor how they handled it.

The visitation last night and funeral this morning are at the Alliant Center Exposition Hall. Last night the cars spilled over into the adjacent lot for the Coliseum.

It was an interesting dynamic within the crowd. The line in the lobby area was quiet and somewhat somber. From there they had a serpentine line in the Exhibit Hall that passed along displays of photos of Bobs career and life. As the multiple line segments moved past one another in opposite directions, you naturally saw many, many people. Lots of people seeing others they had not seen in years. Hugs and handshakes were the norm. It was somewhat lighthearted, with everyone saddened by what brought us together, but happy to see people we may have lost touch with. Personally, I caught up with dozens of people I haven't seen for years, but had been very involved long ago.

Sprinkled among us, shuffling along the line with us all, were guys who reached the upper echelons of hockey in the US, including retired NHL veterans who played with Bob or his brothers or were coached by Bob during his long coaching career. There were also young boys and girls in line who are still working to get to those levels. It was a vivid reminder of how much Bob did and was still doing for hockey over his 40 year adult life.

Then there was of course the final segment of the line which was hushed and teary as we engaged the family members and viewed Bob one last time. I admit to losing my typical stoic facade when I reached his boys, who I have known since they were first learning to skate.

As is typical at most visitations/wakes the range of emotions went from overwhelming sadness to laughter and levity.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I went to Bob's visitation last night. It was scheduled to be from 3:00 to 7:00. We got there at about 3:15, and the line was already so long we did not get to the family until about 6:00. When we left, the line was much, much longer than when we got there. I have no idea how long it lasted into the night, nor how they handled it.

The visitation last night and funeral this morning are at the Alliant Center Exposition Hall. Last night the cars spilled over into the adjacent lot for the Coliseum.

It was an interesting dynamic within the crowd. The line in the lobby area was quiet and somewhat somber. From there they had a serpentine line in the Exhibit Hall that passed along displays of photos of Bobs career and life. As the multiple line segments moved past one another in opposite directions, you naturally saw many, many people. Lots of people seeing others they had not seen in years. Hugs and handshakes were the norm. It was somewhat lighthearted, with everyone saddened by what brought us together, but happy to see people we may have lost touch with. Personally, I caught up with dozens of people I haven't seen for years, but had been very involved long ago.

Sprinkled among us, shuffling along the line with us all, were guys who reached the upper echelons of hockey in the US, including retired NHL veterans who played with Bob or his brothers or were coached by Bob during his long coaching career. There were also young boys and girls in line who are still working to get to those levels. It was a vivid reminder of how much Bob did and was still doing for hockey over his 40 year adult life.

Then there was of course the final segment of the line which was hushed and teary as we engaged the family members and viewed Bob one last time. I admit to losing my typical stoic facade when I reached his boys, who I have known since they were first learning to skate.

As is typical at most visitations/wakes the range of emotions went from overwhelming sadness to laughter and levity.
    Thanks for the update. I am out of town in Duluth for an inline marathon. I wish I would have been there.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston