Thread: Compensary Picks 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hyde was instinctive but not fast. Good punt returner, smart, but had some limitations. The way he played -- and was used by Capers -- here, he wasn't worth the $5-6M/yr he got from Buffalo IMO. There wasn't really anything to indicate he was better than Burnett or Ha-Ha at the start of the season. I'm happy for him that he got paid and has had success.

Hayward was hurt half his time here, but showed he could play in the slot and IIRC some zone. I thought not signing him was a good move at the time, but the injuries and depth at CB combined with his success make me wonder.

I also wonder about Capers' scheme and how players were used. Players having Pro Bowl success the year they move on is a better look for the personnel department than the coaches.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Hyde was instinctive but not fast. Good punt returner, smart, but had some limitations. The way he played -- and was used by Capers -- here, he wasn't worth the $5-6M/yr he got from Buffalo IMO. There wasn't really anything to indicate he was better than Burnett or Ha-Ha at the start of the season. I'm happy for him that he got paid and has had success.

Hayward was hurt half his time here, but showed he could play in the slot and IIRC some zone. I thought not signing him was a good move at the time, but the injuries and depth at CB combined with his success make me wonder.

I also wonder about Capers' scheme and how players were used. Players having Pro Bowl success the year they move on is a better look for the personnel department than the coaches.
    Maybe Hyde was "solid" on special teams, but defensively, he was a liability. Couldn't cover anyone. His tackling was not as good as some believe. Pretty sure McGinn, in his awesome post game grading, called out Hyde a tons for his missed tackles, as well as his abominable coverage.

Hayward might still be in Green Bay today had Todd trade the Packers' 2015 1st rounder, plus Lindsey or Tretter, to the Aints for Jimmy Graham. SD signed Hayward for $4 M/yr - that's a bargain for a player of Hayward's kung fu.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.