Thread: Brian Gutekunst, Making No Sense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Janis scored 30 on the Wonderlic. Dude's smart enough to run a deep post if they need him to run a deep post.

The more logical explanation: the coaches failed to utilize Janis, much in the same manner that Thompson failed to utilize Belichickism.
    There are a lot of smart players who cannot play pro football well. Its muscle memory, not immediate recall.

Knowing what route is called and actually running it against physical equals are two different things. I cannot find the video, but last year Janis ran a slant and a LB read it and stood in his way. Janis' entire body reacted with surprise and like he had no idea what to do if things on the field did not look like the whiteboard.

He half heartedly continued after a slight pause, bumped into the LB and fell backward in an attempt to draw a flag. It might have been the worst slant route I have ever seen in my life. Brutal. He is used to dominating the opposition and has not adjusted to the level of resistance he meets on offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There are a lot of smart players who cannot play pro football well. Its muscle memory, not immediate recall.

Knowing what route is called and actually running it against physical equals are two different things. I cannot find the video, but last year Janis ran a slant and a LB read it and stood in his way. Janis' entire body reacted with surprise and like he had no idea what to do if things on the field did not look like the whiteboard.

He half heartedly continued after a slight pause, bumped into the LB and fell backward in an attempt to draw a flag. It might have been the worst slant route I have ever seen in my life. Brutal. He is used to dominating the opposition and has not adjusted to the level of resistance he meets on offense.
    Yes, Nick Collins scored 5 or something like that on the Wonderlic, and he didn't do too bad on the football field.

But just cos Janis is raw and makes a few mental mistakes doesn't mean he can't play. Pretty sure Adams and Nelson made a tons of them too in their first few seasons. And Janis has speed, something that can't be taught, or so the saying goes. When the guys you're playing are as slow as sloths, it doesn't hurt to add some speed.

As I stated previously, the coaches should've played Janis over Allison, a slothish JAG. Players like Allison are a dime a dozen. Janis has speed, and when he's on the field with the rock, good things usually happen.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.