Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: heroes and goats

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The DC will always take the fall, but the brain trust has to figure out how to match the players to a coach's scheme. It hasn't happened since they had Collins, Woodson and Matthews at his peak health.
    So, the scheme only works if you have at least 3 Pro Bowlers on your defense? In addition to those, I would add that Tramon and Raji had career years in 2010. There are teams that play respectable defense with less. At times, the defense has looked like they've turned a corner, and then you have a performance like last night. Halfway through the season, the defense is still a bit of a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    The pass to Peppers was a joke. You've got two of the top WR in the league, a sure-handed rookie, and Quarless who caught the same pass two weeks earlier to win the game against the Dolphins. Instead, Rodgers throws a bullet to an elephant LB. I'm assuming Stubby made the call. I'm assuming they spent valuable game-prep time practicing it. My only question is: Why?

Then, for some unknown reason, Stubby decides to get cute with an onsides kick, giving Brees the ball in Packer territory. Again, why? You're 3 points yup. The offense is moving the ball. It's early. Why?
    I also disliked the pass to Peppers. I don't like passes to OT's playing TE, or handoffs to DT's playing FB for the same reasons. These are guys not comfortable with handling the ball. If they are there because injuries have decimated a position, that's one thing. But a bullet pass to Peppers when you have three able-bodied TE's on your roster? Why?

I'm not as opposed to the onside kick. Crosby is pretty good at them, and it is a surprise that has worked in the past. But it seemed kind of early to tell the defense that you have no faith in their ability to stop the Saints, so you are resorting to trickery to steal a possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    I thought the Peppers play was clever. McCarthy rarely shows any creativity, as he is a dull moor, so its nice to see a clever play out of him other than the "Raji fullback gut freezer X."
    How is that clever? You split him out wide and throw to him? Clever might be lining him up in the backfield, or as a TIGHT end, positions in which the D might expect him to block, then freeing him up for a pass. Splitting him wide and throwing to him is not clever at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So, the scheme only works if you have at least 3 Pro Bowlers on your defense? In addition to those, I would add that Tramon and Raji had career years in 2010. There are teams that play respectable defense with less. At times, the defense has looked like they've turned a corner, and then you have a performance like last night. Halfway through the season, the defense is still a bit of a mystery.
    Its only in the top 8 (25%) in the League with 3 Pro Bowlers and 2 near Pro Bowlers, yes. That kind of goes with the territory.

I would tend to think that defenses doing much more with less (say the Cowboys this year) in a non-fluke, non-no film, new scheme way are actually more talented that people realize at the time (see Packers D in 2009).

But its possible Capers scheme yields huge variability when poorly executed. And I believe its been poorly executed. Even the players who have been lauded in this short season have been very up and down (Matthews, Daniels, Peppers, Shields). Ironically, the most consistent might be Burnett. In the front seven, who was free and clear to make a tackle versus Ingram last night? All the missed blocks, other than dives by filling DBs, were guys that couldn't get off their blocks.

wist might get his wish because I am not sure that any nickel he throws out there this year can defend the run. So it will only be of use when they have a good lead later in the game. The only problem is that when they ran 3-4 in the second half after getting gashed on the ground again, it was just as leaky.
    Last edited by pbmax; 10-27-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    How is that clever? You split him out wide and throw to him? Clever might be lining him up in the backfield, or as a TIGHT end, positions in which the D might expect him to block, then freeing him up for a pass. Splitting him wide and throwing to him is not clever at all.
    As the WR is a former basketball guy who is 6' 7", I would have preferred a jump ball thrown to him. The slant was weird. You have to know how to cut off your DB and extend to catch.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    For all the talk of how great Cobb has been in the red zone (and he has), did we throw to him even ONCE in the red zone last night? I don't recall any. I liked the early onside kick and even contemplated doing it every time as we never stopped them between the 20's either. I also liked the 4th down decision, but absolutely hated the call. As soon as I could tell he was going to run, I knew we weren't going to get it. Lacy looked great in the screen game. It'd be nice if we could utiize that a bit more this season. He had a couple of nice catches on at least one occasion when the ball was behind him.

The genius of the NFL coach is a myth though. Sean Payton early in the 2nd half went for it on 4th down as well by running twice up the middle. The first time lost 2 yards, the second got no gain. 2 guys, same mistake. I thought both HC should have passed in those situations.

As the WR is a former basketball guy who is 6' 7", I would have preferred a jump ball thrown to him. The slant was weird. You have to know how to cut off your DB and extend to catch.
    It felt like the Packers were hoping the Saints would think we would do that, and were hoping to fool the Saints by having Peppers run a slant. It should have worked, but Peppers dropped the pass.

Problem is, he is a former basketball player of about 100 years ago. I think he played with Naismith using a peach basket, didn't he? Not sure it means a lot anymore after 15 years or so playing and training as a D lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    It should have worked, but Peppers dropped the pass.
    But that is exactly the issue, relying on a guy who is unaccustomed to handling the ball, and expecting him to cleanly catch a hard pass from Rodgers. When you you see OTs and others getting passes from a TE or FB position, it tends to be lob they can handle. I know, Peppers is a tremendous athlete, but the fact is he dropped a very catchable ball for a person accustomed to catching.

But that is exactly the issue, relying on a guy who is unaccustomed to handling the ball, and expecting him to cleanly catch a hard pass from Rodgers. When you you see OTs and others getting passes from a TE or FB position, it tends to be lob they can handle. I know, Peppers is a tremendous athlete, but the fact is he dropped a very catchable ball for a person accustomed to catching.
    I don't disagree with you. I was puzzled when we didn't go for a pass to Cobb, considering how good he has been for us in the red zone.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Wish I was back in the dorms
    Wish I was still the young stud I was back in them jolly institutionalized days.

Rat Starter
    I thought Peppers lined up in the backfield, then motioned wide?

That was a clever play. Packers simply did not execute. Otherwise, it would be the most talked about play in Packers nation since Favre threw a lateral to Bubba Franks who then threw a TD to Driver, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    That was a clever play. Packers simply did not execute.
    Correction - Peppers didn't execute.

It was depressing to read JSO this morning to find that our run defense has sunk to 32nd. Eight games into the season with no real improvement in that aspect of our defense. Same problems, same answers from the coaching staff.

Blog Entries

You are trying to explain football to Tank.

Impossible task.

Hero - Lacy, Cobb,

Goat - The Defense, M3, Hair Piece, Zebra Crew
    C.H.U.D.

Correction - Peppers didn't execute.
    It was really a stupid call I thought. If you are going to run a slant throw it to a real receiver. The ball hit him in the chest.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    It was really a stupid call I thought. If you are going to run a slant throw it to a real receiver. The ball hit him in the chest.
    I know this dead horse has been beaten to a pile of flesh and hair and pulverized internal organs. But expecting Peterson to catch a Rodgers fast ball is like playing an athletic offensive lineman at linebacker. It's insulting to the receiving craft to think you can just do it skillfully in game situations without lots of practice.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I know this dead horse has been beaten to a pile of flesh and hair and pulverized internal organs. But expecting Peterson to catch a Rodgers fast ball is like playing an athletic offensive lineman at linebacker. It's insulting to the receiving craft to think you can just do it skillfully in game situations without lots of practice.
    And yet there was a whole group here who thought it would be cool to have Peppers at TE after his interception return for a TD a few weeks ago.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I liked the idea of having Peppers in there but that needs to be a jump ball not a fastball on a slant.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston