Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Could the Packers cut the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders? Bob McGinn is arguing Thorton and Bradford don't deserve a spot on the roster. In his latest article, McGinn compares the tenancity, speed, style, etc of Boyd and Thorton and alleges that Thorton does not show up at all. Furthermore, McGinn is also saying that the battle between Rolle and Goodson is very heated. It sounds like Bob is high on Goodson but even higher on Rolle.
    I agree with McGinn's take on Bradford. At OLB he has physical limitations. He has done next to nothing and doesn't flash much potential. I disagree with him on Thornton. McGinn had this same take after the first two games. I saw enough to be intrigued by Thornton's potential. I haven't watched his play closely from the most recent game. I think you give a big guy with potential more time--especially when you aren't tremendously deep at the position (with Raji and Guion out). Goodson definitely made more plays in the most recent game, but Rolle looks to be a better athlete and he's more polished. I think Goodson is a candidate for the PS. I only list 8 guys because I'm not entirely clear on the new rule and I'm not positive which guys qualify for the extra two spots.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I agree with McGinn's take on Bradford. At OLB he has physical limitations. He has done next to nothing and doesn't flash much potential. I disagree with him on Thornton. McGinn had this same take after the first two games. I saw enough to be intrigued by Thornton's potential. I haven't watched his play closely from the most recent game. I think you give a big guy with potential more time--especially when you aren't tremendously deep at the position (with Raji and Guion out). Goodson definitely made more plays in the most recent game, but Rolle looks to be a better athlete and he's more polished. I think Goodson is a candidate for the PS. I only list 8 guys because I'm not entirely clear on the new rule and I'm not positive which guys qualify for the extra two spots.
    Late in McGinn's article, he praises Josh Boyd. In last year's training camp, Boyd was no more impressive than Thornton is this year. I remember Trgovac talking about how "Boyd is being asked to do some things he hasn't done before". Yet by late in the season, Boyd was a contributor, and he's now seen as a key member of the DL. I think they will give Thornton some time.

As for Bradford, I just don't think he can play OLB. As I mentioned in another thread, I saw him at practice Tuesday standing next to Clay Matthews, and the difference physically is striking. He looks even shorter than his listed height. The question is whether he can play ILB. The Packers tried moving Terrell Manning inside and it didn't work. If they feel Bradford can't play there, he's probably worthless.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen