Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Hundley - Ongoing discussion

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The problem - and McCarthy himself said this - isn't Hundley; It's the rest of the team. Thank you Ted Thompson for that. The Packers were Great with Aaron Rodgers because he masked the mediocrity of the rest of the team, personnel-wise. The O Line, the whole defense, especially the DBs, the RBs, and the Receivers - both TEs and WRs.

The other thing about Hundley is they still refused to unleash him - at least until the game was pretty much out of reach. Then he did pretty well.

I don't see him cutting and running all that much; I see him looking down field and not finding anybody who has gotten much of any separation from the D. I also see him rushed horribly on virtually every play - same as Aaron Rodgers always was. There was improvement from the first week to the second - he started using one of Aaron's escape move. Trouble was, it was always the same on - rolling to the right sideline.

No immobile QB would survive with this awful O Line, and even somebody with athleticism and mobility has a tough time - thank you Ted.
    Gee, last season folks were touting our OL as one of the best in the league. Hundley is just as mobile as Rodgers. Teams are attacking our offense differently now. Before they would be nuts to stack and box and force the QB to beat them. But that is what they are doing now. Then we end up with 3rd and long and they bring the house and overwhelm both the line and an inexperienced QB.

Don't but much stock into what a coach says publicly to the press. 99% of that is coach-speak.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I don't see him cutting and running all that much; I see him looking down field and not finding anybody who has gotten much of any separation from the D.
    You have to be joking. He was very skittish in the pocket when pressure showed. He escaped outside and put himself in more jeopardy more than once when he could have stepped up in the pocket.

He needs some time. Both in the pocket but also as an NFL starter.

McCarthy is trying to buy him some time (the latter) by rattling the rest of the roster this week rather than dwell on what they are not getting out of the QB in the passing game after his second start.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You call it skittish in the pocket; I call it the same horrible pass rush that always plagued Rodgers. He's doing what needs to be done with this pathetic O Line and receivers who are being exposed as not as good as Aaron Rodgers made them seem.

Yeah, he needs experience, and he doesn't get it when they keep on such a short leash.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    If only Ted would stop hurting linemen.

They definitely need to run the ball, but I think on Monday they were dealing with Taylor's weak ankle, Bak's hammy, no Bennett (remember how well he blocked in addition to dropping passes?) and of course Bulaga lost again. Would be nice to get at least 5 clean pockets off play action.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Would be nice if MM tried to have a running game and actually call a game to BHs strengths.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

I think he tried but they were limited. I think Detroits run defense is better than NO's. And once you're down by two-three scores the run game goes bye bye.

he needs two seasons to become just an average qb. this O needs someone way above average to work...at least in the passing game.

I don't think Hundley can avoid the rush and chew gum at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Not keeping his eyes down field and being too eager to cut and run might be his Achilles's heel.
    As it is for any QB who's getting used to the NFL pace and talent. It's the rare exception that jumps in and does that naturally with 300 lb lineman running at you faster than your college WRs could run.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I've been wondering whether hundley has been hurting his trade value with his performances this year and it looks like he has. The espn packers blog has a quote from the elusive "nfl executive" saying that hundley would have fetched a 4th in the spring but nothing now.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I've been wondering whether hundley has been hurting his trade value with his performances this year and it looks like he has. The espn packers blog has a quote from the elusive "nfl executive" saying that hundley would have fetched a 4th in the spring but nothing now.
    I think it's too early to tell. In the spring, a 4th. Now, nothing. In three weeks, who knows? It's a moving target.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I think it's too early to tell. In the spring, a 4th. Now, nothing. In three weeks, who knows? It's a moving target.
    I agree. I don't think he ever would have gotten more than a 4th if he didn't play. With improved performances by the end of the season, he might be up to a 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    I don't think Hundley can avoid the rush and chew gum at the same time.
    LOL, I noticed the same thing!

Hundley is a horrible QB. He hasn't learned a lick since his UCLA days. The number of sacks he took in college is almost unbelievable, and he had the same penchant for throwing short passes near the line of scrimmage rather than being able to see what was happening downfield and actually bring pressure to bear on the defense. Whoever thought this kid would translate well to the Packer passing attack probably should not be allowed to evaluate QB talent ever again.

After the Saints game, I thought it was McCarthy being too conservative in his game planning. However, after the Lions game, it became very clear that I was incorrect...it actually is as simple as Hundley just not being a capable NFL QB. There were throws to be made downfield on Monday night...and Hundley rarely attempted those throws. Good young QBs will occasionally prove their ability to diagnose a play pre-snap...account for what the defense is trying to do...and beat it. I'm not sure I've seen one instance of that yet from Hundley in 2+ games, which to me is an incredibly bad sign.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Would be nice if MM tried to have a running game and actually call a game to BHs strengths.
    Dump-offs to RB's and 2 yard passes are Hundley's strengths. His other strength is looking good against vanilla defenses that aren't really trying, but it's tough for MM to put that into the playbook.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    They definitely need to run the ball, but I think on Monday they were dealing with Taylor's weak ankle, Bak's hammy, no Bennett (remember how well he blocked in addition to dropping passes?) and of course Bulaga lost again. Would be nice to get at least 5 clean pockets off play action.
    Lions are not bad against the run either (10th in DVOA), which did not help.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Dump-offs to RB's and 2 yard passes are Hundley's strengths. His other strength is looking good against vanilla defenses that aren't really trying, but it's tough for MM to put that into the playbook.
    I think the key is no huddle, 2 minute offense, Hundley calls the plays (pre determined before series) and does mostly pre-snap reads.

A pretty good read on Hundley’s problems. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...y/amp/?ref=yfp

Chicken and egg problem with that Jordy footage. He is under center for that play and was obviously more comfortable from shotgun in the 2 minute drives.

Under center and then play action. Doesn't have much time to read that route. Almost has to be the primary target for that to work.