Thread: Packers 2015 Offseason News and Notes non Draft non FA Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Perry's issue was that his style didn't match his best physical traits. He was a KGB-style speed rusher in college but was built like a brick shithouse. You'd like to see him be able to go through a guy with all that size and strength. I think they drafted him hoping they could turn him into Shawne Merriman. Obviously he's not elite like that but has transformed himself a bit into that mold. He's stout as hell against the run and a lot more physical in his pass rush. I think he's a better rusher than his sack numbers would indicate. I hope they find a way to resign him.
    One of the fan blogs actually wrote that his problem is that he is assignment unsound and then cannot recover due to issues with lateral quickness.

I have rarely seen him out of position but his lateral quickness does come into play when changing direction or pursuit.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    One of the fan blogs actually wrote that his problem is that he is assignment unsound and then cannot recover due to issues with lateral quickness.

I have rarely seen him out of position but his lateral quickness does come into play when changing direction or pursuit.
    When a guy runs a 4.5 at 270 lbs, benches 35 reps, jumps 38 inches, and gets drafted in the 1st round what he does in coverage or pursuit is icing on the cake. That man's only path to being considered a success should be what he does one-on-one rushing the passer and all I'm saying is that if you can do that you're a fit anywhere. Perry's game is only worth picking apart because he hasn't become the elite pass rusher you hoped for when you drafted him in the first round. If he was good in pursuit he'd be Shea McClellan and still not worth a first round pick. That said Perry's not a full-blown bust either. He is way more useful on a football field than McClellan.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    That said Perry's not a full-blown bust either. He is way more useful on a football field than McClellan.
    So is my dead Grandmother.

Never draft a McClellan - those guys just don't have the desire to throw their full weight into the battle.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

That said Perry's not a full-blown bust either. He is way more useful on a football field than McClellan.
    Agree with that. I think Perry is actually more sound against the run than Clay and I would not be stunned if Perry/Neal in the lineup helped the run defense as much as Clay in the middle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Agree with that. I think Perry is actually more sound against the run than Clay and I would not be stunned if Perry/Neal in the lineup helped the run defense as much as Clay in the middle.
    Oh it did for sure and I believe thats a reason they reach early for an ILB because they liked what they saw with that package.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    When a guy runs a 4.5 at 270 lbs, benches 35 reps, jumps 38 inches, and gets drafted in the 1st round what he does in coverage or pursuit is icing on the cake. That man's only path to being considered a success should be what he does one-on-one rushing the passer and all I'm saying is that if you can do that you're a fit anywhere. Perry's game is only worth picking apart because he hasn't become the elite pass rusher you hoped for when you drafted him in the first round. If he was good in pursuit he'd be Shea McClellan and still not worth a first round pick. That said Perry's not a full-blown bust either. He is way more useful on a football field than McClellan.
    I know others picked up on the McClellan comment, but your comment about Perry's measurable and being a fit anywhere vs. the production the team has seen is interesting. Did the Packers have the wrong vision for this guy, and he may have worked out better in another defensive scheme, was his development slowed by all of his injury concerns, or do you think there's another reason he hasn't lived up to his first round projection?
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-07-2015 at 05:29 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I know others picked up on the McClellan comment, but your comment about Perry's measurable and being a fit anywhere vs. the production the team has seen is interesting. Did the Packers have the wrong vision for this guy, and he may have worked out better in another defensive scheme, was his development slowed by all of his injury concerns, or do you think there's another reason he hasn't lived up to his first round projection?
    A job as a 4-3 DE would allow him to showcase his strength of setting the edge more regularity and rarely ask him to drop into coverage masking one of his biggest deficiencies. My point was that a 4-3 isn't going to make him any better of a pass rusher though and that's really the only way he can "fit" in any scheme as more than a backup and certainly the only way he could be worth a 1st round draft pick. Shawne Merriman would have benefited from a 4-3 in the exact same ways as Perry but nobody cared about fit because you take elite pass rushers in any mold you can find them.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.