Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
I'll simply go with Sherrod was 'a BUST'.

TT doesn't do very well with 1st Round Picks.

2006 ... AJ Hawk..He never fulfilled his promise. He made a ton of money from Ted Thompson. Ohh 'You bought the Jersey ' !

2007... Justin Harrell...Dear GOD ! Ted waited though.

2008... TT traded down or out of the First Round.

2009... B.J. Raji...A Heavy Parking Lot Pylon.

2011... Derek Sherrod.TT demonstrated another level of patience there.

2013... Datone Jones. He is one team away from being on the Roster of every NFCN Team.

2015... Damarious Randall.Our newest NFL Poster Boy For 'I'm A Serious Problem Child'.

2017.. TT traded down or out of the First Round.
Woody, you're looking through anti-TT colored glasses, and it's majorly clouding your judgment.

From a post of mine back in April before the draft:

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon
TT has only had a few mid or top of the round picks:
2006: AJ Hawk (#5). Reliable starter, eminently replaceable (but wasn't) in a draft that was overall just terrible.
2007: Justin Harrell (#16). A miss. Injuries killed his career. I don't like calling injured players busts as I reserve that for the Ahmad Carrolls of the NFL, but you can if you want
2009: BJ Raji (#9). Flashed very brightly in 2010 helping lead to a Super Bowl. I don't know how I'd rank him otherwise, but I'd trade the #9 pick in the draft for that kind of performance in a Super Bowl winning year.

Those are the only times TT picked within the Top 20. After Rodgers first starting season, he hasn't picked inside the 20s (barring a trade up, this will be the eighth year in a row). Restocking and finding quality is tough when two thirds of the league has picked their favorites before you get a chance.

Here are the rest of TT's first round picks in draft order:
21 (2014): HHCD - appears to be long term starter and a good player
23 (2010): Bulaga - long term starter and a good player
26 (2009): Matthews - the second first round pick that year, and someone who had several great seasons to start his career but has tapered off due to injuries; still a good player
27 (2016): Clark - too early to tell, but he flashed in the playoffs against a good Dallas O-line
28 (2012): Perry - not a flashy pass rusher, but a very good run defender, and some argue more important to the D than Matthews because of that
30 (2015): Randall - a terrible sophomore campaign that followed a very promising rookie campaign--he's got one more year to turn it around before we Casey Hayward him.
30 (2008): Traded into second round for Jordy Nelson
32 (2011): Sherrod - along with Harrell, the only (so far--Randall, I'm watching you) outright miss by TT in the first round, but again, due to injuries; as I recall though, many people hated the Harrell pick but loved the Sherrod pick at the time. Both failed for the same three reasons: injuries, injuries, injuries.

Anyway, with only 2 out of 12 (maybe 3 depending on how Randall rebounds) first round picks outright failing to deliver value for the Packers, I'd say he's done a pretty good job picking through the leftovers at the end of the round.

If Clark doesn't turn into something special though, I would think we're due for another star in this draft. It's random and completely unpredictable, but we haven't gotten a bonafide star for a while.