Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    This report sounds a little flimsy to me. Packers reportedly told Lang the same thing: that they wouldn't negotiate a new contract with him during the season and that Bahk and Tretter were going to be first priority. But Lang didn't get cut for mysterious reasons. Is there additional evidence, aside from one unnamed source, that Sitton had "clearly" become a locker room problem?
    Not following that. They told Sitton and Lang they wouldn't renegotiate. Lang's on the team and Sitton is not. That reinforces the notion, not undermines it. that Sitton had a conniption while Lang did not.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    This report sounds a little flimsy to me. Packers reportedly told Lang the same thing: that they wouldn't negotiate a new contract with him during the season and that Bahk and Tretter were going to be first priority. But Lang didn't get cut for mysterious reasons. Is there additional evidence, aside from one unnamed source, that Sitton had "clearly" become a locker room problem?
    I think I read that on Al Jazeera America's web site.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    If someone from inside the Packers organization leaked that, and it wasn't true, what do you think the response would be from the rest of the team who clearly would know Sitton was really a good soldier the whole time and had his character lied about by management?

If it's not true, what good could possibly come from making it up? It would be a disaster in the locker room and surely be quickly controverted.

its always a good day when you can make your own team much weaker and at the same time improve your most hated rival

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately this isn't the simple world of Madden where the only thing you have to consider are skill points.

Flimsy yes, but perhaps consistent. Its possible Lang handled it better.

PROS
    The timing from Ted gave him one more roster spot for a young one.
    Saved the guaranteed money.
    Gave Sitton time to find a new deal that would fully vest.
    Balky back limited practice, not going to get better.
    With injury, Sitton would much prefer getting paid now rather than later.

CONS
    It took reps away from the guy who will replace him.
    It gave the coaching staff one week to prep.
    Gave Sitton a chance to sign within Division.
    Can't see the current line being as strong without him.
    Balky back didn't seem worse this year rather than last.

I am more impressed by the CONS list. But the bolded item might have been a contributing factor. If you play out your deal, the odds of getting another deal diminish due to age and chance of injury. Lang is mostly healthy, nothing chronic. But Sitton might be on a short time clock. That might be why Josh told Wilde this:

Asked directly what explanation the Packers gave him for the decision to release him, Sitton texted back, “Call my agent.”

A message left for Sitton’s agent, Jack Reale, was not immediately returned.
    An ultimatum might have been delivered. Or a threat. Although we have Sitton's quote that he was prepared to play his last year out, he might have been prepared to periodically remind everyone. Perhaps he, like Jennings, had a sister with a Twitter account.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...ving-green-bay
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If Sitton was prepared for a heel turn, this is one heck of a way to pro-actively avoid it. I hope Ted's info was right. We might never know.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its always a good day when you can make your own team much weaker and at the same time improve your most hated rival
    Do you believe the Bears will now be playoff bound because they upgraded their guard position? I'm relieved Sitton didn't go to Seattle!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Do you believe the Bears will now be playoff bound because they upgraded their guard position? I'm relieved Sitton didn't go to Seattle!
    i believe their o-line is now much better. they were going to play a rookie at the spot who it doesn't sound was anywhere ready to start in the nfl

and a better o-line makes cutler much better. the best way to beat the bears is to rattle the shit out of jay and make him panic. that will be harder now imo

i don't know if they're playoff bound, but they might be good enough to beat us once or twice this year because of it

I'm with red on this one. Division games are usually close. Hell, the Lions beat the Pack last year. We play the Bears twice a year with possibility of meeting in playoffs. Sitton to Bears is unfortunate.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone quoted this article, but it ties into the speculation that Sitton was on the outs with the Packers' front office: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...like/89817768/

Again, we don't really know for sure, but if true, then it seems like he took it personally that they were talking to the younger guys first, and perhaps they kept him around until the end of the pre-season to see about his health, but in the end to see if he was OK with playing out the last year of his contract. Seemingly he wasn't OK with just putting in his last season and going quietly, and when they couldn't find a trade partner, they cut him.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    McCarthy on the Josh Sitton release
    This is about growth for our football program. Every decision we make is about improving all aspects of our program. This is not about one player, this is about our football team. I think any time you make decisions, you have to look at everything that’s involved...each player is evaluated. Each player that touches the locker room is evaluated because the locker room is the most important (place) in our building, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I don't know if anyone quoted this article, but it ties into the speculation that Sitton was on the outs with the Packers' front office: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...like/89817768/

Again, we don't really know for sure, but if true, then it seems like he took it personally that they were talking to the younger guys first, and perhaps they kept him around until the end of the pre-season to see about his health, but in the end to see if he was OK with playing out the last year of his contract. Seemingly he wasn't OK with just putting in his last season and going quietly, and when they couldn't find a trade partner, they cut him.
    A GOOD ARTICLE
    I had not read all of that

Like this part
    But that doesn’t mean cutting him was a mistake. Packers fans should find it encouraging that Thompson is showing Lombardi-like ruthlessness in pursuit of a title.

NOW Dear Ted.....Please bring us some Lombardi Like Results cause I'm sick of a fart in the wind
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    McCarthy on the Josh Sitton release
    Leal by Leak....kudos to Vince.........it's becoming apparent you were right
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Regardless it sucks. Not a positive development to start the season.

McCarthy also made it clear Taylor is your starting LG.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    A GOOD ARTICLE
    I had not read all of that

Like this part
    But that doesn’t mean cutting him was a mistake. Packers fans should find it encouraging that Thompson is showing Lombardi-like ruthlessness in pursuit of a title.

NOW Dear Ted.....Please bring us some Lombardi Like Results cause I'm sick of a fart in the wind
    Lombardi would not survive in today's NFL imo

I'm sure Rodgers is thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Leal by Leak....kudos to Vince.........it's becoming apparent you were right
    There was a leak for the first item (haughty and uncommunicative) but vince's bolded quote was from a PC I believe.

Regardless it sucks. Not a positive development to start the season.

I think Mike is huffing canned air.

winners: Josh Sitton, Lane Taylor
    Losers: Packers
    TBD: Bears

Sitton becomes a FA a year early - at an age where a year means a lot. Gets himself a raise and possibly extends his career. I'm not saying TT made a bad move, perhaps he made the best of a bad situation. But if I'm a 30-year-old player in contract year where GM is being coy, I think I'd try being haughty and non-communicative in the locker room.