Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
I really doubt that's the way things work, but I don't really have a better explanation either. It will be a damn shame if Lyerla catches on with some other team and becomes a decent player - that we could have had for a mere additional $150,000.

I could also see a bad end for the player here too. Instead of being in a healthy and controlled environment with the Packers, he is out there on his own, a history of drug abuse, and $150,000 to feed his habit.
I may well be overstating the pressure TT put on Colt and his agent to take the settlement. I really think that TT is done with Colt, first with putting him through wavers instead of straight to IR, then the settlement and finally his comment, it all adds up to not being interested in keeping Colt. Sure, this could be a big mistake and the guy could wind up being a good one. That happens, but this is a business and if you don't see a future for a player, get rid of him as soon and as cheaply as possible. TT decided that the rights to Colt were not worth an additional $150K.