Thread: Read This, Be Smarter: The Undoing of McCarthy's Offense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying PB but I think it's a little over-simplified/dramatic to say the offense is "broken" or "undone."

The offense has become stagnant by becoming overly reliant on the second phase scramble drills, but it can be fixed and it will be through adjustments not a complete overhaul.

As the article says, it makes sense to take advantage of Rodgers' unique ability to scramble and create in the second phase but it can't do that effectively without the first phase threat required to make that as dangerous is it can/should be.

Getting the first-phase threat back requires Rodgers to do less pre-snap adjusting at the line, which is slowing down the offense and allowing defenses to be comfortable disguising and adjusting to Rodgers' adjustments, which defenses can easily diagnose by hand signals (Rodgers pointing to where the pressure is coming from, etc.) and line calls. The adjusting and re-adjusting has gotten out of hand because the defense can adjust easier and quicker than the offense.

So they're in the process of simplifying the offensive reads to pick up the tempo and get the quicker throw timing plays back to keep defenses simpler too and move the chains more consistently. Another big part of the first phase threat they need to recapture that will bring time of possession to their advantage and make second phases of plays the big-play game changers they used to (and should) be is the running game. The slow developing offense has caused the running game to lose its potency.

Here are the adjustments I'm hearing them indicate from what they're saying:

1. Speed up the tempo.
    2. Simplify/reduce pre-snap adjustments.
    3. Reincorporate quicker release timing plays back into the passing game.
    4. Line up and pound it more with Lacy and Starks.

If they can do that effectively, the big-play impact of the second phase isolation game can return because history has shown that it really is hard for defenders to hang on for too long when isolated if those needed adjustments are in place.
    Thanks for the Executive Summary, Vince.

My observation is simple science: In order to restore our electric offense, it is absolutely necessary to have three phases to it, not two.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Thanks for the Executive Summary, Vince.

My observation is simple science: In order to restore our electric offense, it is absolutely necessary to have three phases to it, not two.
    Agreed. Hopefully the running and quicker-release timing-based passing games take hold. Otherwise we could see more of the same. Forcing rodgers to speed things up and dictate less at the line will hopefully help that.
    Last edited by vince; 09-21-2016 at 09:32 AM.

if teams are going to drop deep take the f'n shorter stuff! they need to go into dink and dunk mode to bring those DBs back in. as i said in another thread...take what they give you. stop holding the ball too long and asking the line to do more than pretty much ANY line is asked to do. every play doesn't have to end up in the end zone. moving the chains should be the first goal.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    if teams are going to drop deep take the f'n shorter stuff! they need to go into dink and dunk mode to bring those DBs back in. as i said in another thread...take what they give you. stop holding the ball too long and asking the line to do more than pretty much ANY line is asked to do. every play doesn't have to end up in the end zone. moving the chains should be the first goal.
    I haven't looked closely at film but the article seems to suggest the coverages are combining press man with deep safeties. Short stuff doesn't open up unless you have receivers who can beat the jam or pre-snap movement to free receivers up. For whatever reason, that hasn't been happening for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I haven't looked closely at film but the article seems to suggest the coverages are combining press man with deep safeties. Short stuff doesn't open up unless you have receivers who can beat the jam or pre-snap movement to free receivers up. For whatever reason, that hasn't been happening for quite a while.
    The article shows several plays where receivers were clearly open underneath...but Rodgers refused to throw to them, looking for something further downfield before being forced to throw the ball away. That, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with offense. Rodgers refuses to take what the defense is giving him. That is why Tom Brady is an all-time great...and Rodgers is likely a one-and-done pony show in terms of titles. Maybe we can petition Goodell to start investigating Rodgers and get his focus off throwing non-stop 60 yard bombs?
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Agreed. Hopefully the running and quicker-release timing-based passing games take hold. Otherwise we could see more of the same. Forcing rodgers to speed things up and dictate less at the line will hopefully help that.
    I think Maxie used to work for a power company and was making an electricity pun...
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I think Maxie used to work for a power company and was making an electricity pun...
    Guilty as charged. I apologize, Vince.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers