Thread: The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its strange that you choose to focus specifically on the sexual behavior as the defining characteristic.
    the sexual behavior is the issue. Otherwise you're just talking about close friends
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    the sexual behavior is the issue. Otherwise you're just talking about close friends
    The public acknowledgment is not simply about behavior. Its an effort to lead an open and honest life.

There is a natural tension between private and public realms, but this particular public realm remains unchartered.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The public acknowledgment is not simply about behavior. Its an effort to lead an open and honest life..
    Yes, an open and honest life about behavior. Otherwise there is nothing to be 'open and honest' about. No one would care.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Yes, an open and honest life about behavior. Otherwise there is nothing to be 'open and honest' about. No one would care.
    I doubt no one would care, but the salaciousness the topic lends itself to no doubt helps with the fascination.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-02-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I doubt no one would care, but the salaciousness the topic lends itself to no doubt helps with the fascination.
    Or does it help keep the gays silent? Because not many men want to stand up at Thanksgiving diner and announce, "Ma, I have meaningful and enjoyable sexual intercourse with men," much less in front of a worldwide news camera.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Or does it help keep the gays silent? Because not many men want to stand up at Thanksgiving diner and announce, "Ma, I have meaningful and enjoyable sexual intercourse with men," much less in front of a worldwide news camera.
    I suspect this is what the Duck Dynasty guy would fear. The idea that being gay is entirely about a specific sexual act. That being gay means simply preferring one kind of sex to another. Its reductive, to make the issue entirely about a distinction rather than a preference in relationships.

I doubt anyone who is gay sees it that narrowly. No adult (straight or gay) who is serious about choosing a partner bases the choice on sexual compatibility alone.

I suspect this is what the Duck Dynasty guy would fear. The idea that being gay is entirely about a specific sexual act. That being gay means simply preferring one kind of sex to another. Its reductive, to make the issue entirely about a distinction rather than a preference in relationships.

I doubt anyone who is gay sees it that narrowly. No adult (straight or gay) who is serious about choosing a partner bases the choice on sexual compatibility alone.
    I already said I'm not reducing them to their sexuality, but it is exactly what makes them homosexual. Denying them their sexuality is denying them who they are and is making this issue about something it isn't, or not making this issue about what it is, if you prefer. The emotional aspects are not unique to queers. Men love many men during their lives: fathers, brothers, friends, teammates, fellow soldiers... It is the sexual aspect that defines homosexuality, and last time I checked, that's what we're discussing here. If you, or they, feel that is salacious, then that's not my issue, and is all the more reason that sports, among many other things, is not the arena in which to discuss sexuality publicly.

What I meant to say is that few people want to stand up and tell anyone, much less everyone, that they have sexual relations with anyone, same sex or not. I'm very articulate this morning.

What I meant to say is that few people want to stand up and tell anyone, much less everyone, that they have sexual relations with anyone, same sex or not. I'm very articulate this morning.
    A homosexual/homosexuals ... do NOT 'have to declare their sexuality'; unless it's of personal choice.

ie Maybe? hiding such creates an internal issue/problem, that such a revelation might as a result, and in return offer support of.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

** Do you believe it's right in any way, shape, manner or form that a persons sexual choice or positive stance in a same sex marriage or equivalent, should suffer:

a) Any regret in the form of condemnation by the powers to be?

b) A loss of any freedom to viably secure work in his chosen field?

** Do you believe that any man should be applauded for condemning 'in any manner', a same sex relationship; based on his interpretations of whatever doctrine (s) he deems as his compass for his personal moral manner of living?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau