Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    We have a whole team of good players, guys who are kind of natural football guys. We need one more star and I think we're over the top.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Me too. Especially at safety and ilb. We have a good team. On defense we need a guy who can fly around and clean up.
    We have a whole team of good players, guys who are kind of natural football guys. We need one more star and I think we're over the top.
    I try to be practical in my feelings about where the team really is, or where it could be; but I am haunted by feelings of how 2011, 2012 and 2013 could have been if Collins had just gotten his head a little lower, or if Stewart had jumped an inch higher. Losing him in the back of the defense was worse than playing without Matthews has been, because losing him affected the defense from sideline to sideline and from the line of scrimmage to the goal line. They had a special player roaming in that territory, and the drop-off from him to those who replaced him has been huge.

..and he likely would still be at the top of his game in 2014-2015.

I agree, Patler, he was so good at what he did (cover the whole back end by himself and the surest tackler I've seen in Green Bay in the last 10 years.) And safety play has become paramount in the new NFL. Just like the QB affects the whole passing game on offense, the free safety affects the whole passing game on defense because a great one can sort of be everywhere. In the last 10-15 years, just like nearly every Sb winning team has had a QB playing at the top of the league, so has every Sb winning team had a safety (usually free safety) doing the same.

I'm worried about the safety position, and we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us. I'm not in in love with any of them. Haha is a poor athlete who knows how to play, prior not much better. Solid players, probably, but they don't look like the difference makers Sb winning teams field at the position. I'll hope for the best though. We have such a good team, you just never know.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

......we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us......
    I've been started to get that feeling. A couple months ago, I saw some tape and read about Pryor and thought - Wow, he's the answer. Then, you read a little more and then comes the combine. Now, I'm not sure he's what this defense needs.

I agree, Patler, he was so good at what he did (cover the whole back end by himself and the surest tackler I've seen in Green Bay in the last 10 years.) And safety play has become paramount in the new NFL. Just like the QB affects the whole passing game on offense, the free safety affects the whole passing game on defense because a great one can sort of be everywhere. In the last 10-15 years, just like nearly every Sb winning team has had a QB playing at the top of the league, so has every Sb winning team had a safety (usually free safety) doing the same.

I'm worried about the safety position, and we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us. I'm not in in love with any of them. Haha is a poor athlete who knows how to play, prior not much better. Solid players, probably, but they don't look like the difference makers Sb winning teams field at the position. I'll hope for the best though. We have such a good team, you just never know.
    HaHa is known as a FREAK athlete. His 40 time was a little slow. He was a 5 star recruit out of high school. He was in the top 5 total players I believe... this is the same class as freaks like Jadeveon Clowney.

40 time isn't everything. I was dissapointed in his time, personally, but to say he's not an elite athlete is crazy. Safeties don't go in round 1 unless they have special skills.