Thread: Official Lions Week Chatter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CutlerquitRat HOFer
    It's because their stations come out of Duluth.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    OIC

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    That map chops off a solid chunk of northern WI and gives it to the Vikings. It has been that way for a few years now. I have many friends and relatives who are livid, as they are no longer able to see Packer games. On cable they previously were able to get the games, bot not under the current licenses. It makes no sense, because it is and always has been solid Packer territory.
    It's a bit more complicated than that. Their "over the air" major network TV has ALWAYS come from Duluth, but since cable TV first came into the area in the mid-1960s, the cable provider also carried more southern stations (Wausau, Eau Claire. Green Bay, etc.) in addition to the Duluth stations. As a result, the northern WI counties always had Packer games available to them, WI state news, etc.

However, a couple years ago the NFL apparently revised their rules to prohibit importing conflicting same-network games into the Designated Market Area (DMA) of another station. The FCC then included northern WI in the DMAs of the Duluth stations. The result is that whenever the Vikings and Packers play at the same time, the cable provider can not carry the WI channel. Some of these people have had Packer games available to them for 50 years; but now, because of rules changes, they miss a lot of games. For the most part, they have also lost WI based news, as I understand it.

The NFL has provided a solution for Packer games, individuals can subscribe to the NFL Ticket Package for $250.

At least, that is the way it has been explained to me.
    Last edited by Patler; 09-24-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Damn elitist Duluthians! Forcing their TV on Good Normal Packer fans.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!