You guys are really getting all balled up.

MVP = Most VALUABLE player. To the league. So think in terms of $$$. Which guy draws people in to watch and generate coin. Favre was that guy, whether he threw crushing, game and season-ending INTs (1995, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007) or threw SB winning TD passes(1996). Favre coulda won more MVPs just for the drama$$$ factor.

Starr was a great field general for a great TEAM, that won because Lombardi was their coach. Lombardi coached mediocre guys into greatness. As evidence - the time he coached a high school basketball team to a state championship. Lombardi could get a team of girl scouts and coach them to the highest culinary award for cooking, because he could coach people. He did the same with Starr - drilled that guy into greatness. Starr was a miserable specimen of a QB, but with Lombardi driving him to greatness, like a lot of other sorry schlubs, they won and won again. MVP - who the hell cares - Starr was a winner, mostly because of his coach. Similarly, Favre did his best work when he was tightly controlled by great coaches - Holmgren and Stubby. MVP - sure, sometimes, and sure again when he was the media drama queen, because $$$$, and because he was crazy flashy.

I wasn't alive for the 60's so I don't have that feel for what people were looking for in an MVP, but my sense is that times were different, and since Lombardi was in the drivers seat - CLEARLY he was the driving personality of that team - so why not pick Starr - because, well, he's the frickin' QB. Of course he's the guy they'd pick, because that was a TEAM, and you pick the on field leader of the best team.

Both MVPs, but for different reasons.