Typical benefit of hindsight article. Honestly, I expect better than this from the JS.

Literally nobody was upset over losing Hyde this year. He is what he is...a jack of all trades who was consistently a step slow in coverage. We all pretty much laughed at Buffalo for paying him as much as they did. The idea that we should have re-signed him to play full time safety instead of Burnett or HHCD is asinine.

As far as Hayward, he was coming off 3 straight disappointing years. After his rookie year, I figured he'd be one of the best corners in the league for years to come. He had the injury in 2013 and we spent all of 2014 and 2015 waiting for the old Hayward to come back. The beat writers consistently wrote how he was a step slow even in practice. For a guy who who was never that quick, but was instead what I would call smooth, the thought was the injury had robbed him of the speed he needed. You don't pay those kind of guys 5-6M when you already have Shields and a pair of 1st and 2nd rounders waiting in the wings. Also, it's not as if Hayward was some no doubt free agent who had multiple teams chasing him. His market was pretty cool. Hayward is certainly playing lights out, no doubt about that. He's also playing with Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram on one of the best pass rushes in the league. And just to bring this thing full circle, Bosa was the 3rd overall pick in 2016. Ingram was the 18th overall pick in 2012. The Packers didn't have a shot at either one of them.