Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
Some of that creativity is because Cobb doesn't escape press man coverage well. In the backfield, he is more likely to get a linebacker. He isn't in the backfield to run, though they do need to run him on occasion to keep the defense honest with that linebacker.

He is an odd slot receiver. He is better at getting open after the play has broken down. The Packers would certainly miss him, but I am not convinced he is worth Nelson money. That would be a signing down out of lack of depth. Someone mentioned the last three draft picks need to pay off, but while Adams would seem ready to step in, Abbredaris, Boykin and Janis are uncertainties.
At times I think NFL front offices need to be concerned about the perception that they are willing to re-sign their very top talent. The Packers being primarily a draft and develop team, it is important for them to retain the best of the developed talent, and that would be Cobb among the skill position guys. It might be tougher to retain that talent if the perception by the players ever becomes, "I get drafted by the Packers, I play at a high, productive level, and they let me walk before my second contract." That would not be a good trend. I understand that you also shouldn't do FA signings as PR moves, but to me, if you are not going to sign your best, who are you going to sign? As many have noted here, TT usually gets a second contract done with highly productive players. I see them getting something done with Cobb.