Thread: The Offseason

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    Just because you're still in it, doesn't mean you can't be thinking about the draft. I've been thinking about the draft since June.
    I find that odd.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    I find that odd.
    The NFL draft used to be two of my favorite days of the year. Now? It's three of my favorite days of the year. Potentially, I have a problem.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    The NFL draft used to be two of my favorite days of the year. Now? It's three of my favorite days of the year. Potentially, I have a problem.
    I have a similar problem. I blame it on my ADHD. The draft allows me to stay busy with something that is at once meaningful and meaningless, important and unimportant, surprising and predictable. I prepare charts that make me feel happy when a knowledgeable guess is confirmed, and then the charts make me feel dumb when I can't get a single pick right in the second half of the first round. I root for the Packers to pick players that probably aren't even on Ted's board. And then, as in the 2009 draft, something amazing happens as in the legendary TT trade up to get Matthews!

My family cannot fathom the bonds that hold me to the draft, and I know many true green and gold smart Packer fans that are content to wait until the 7th round is over before finding out what happened. I admit I have a problem but until my family does an intervention they are stuck with me brooding over my notebooks and websites in the days before the draft, and they are stuck with me treating them like alien invaders to my private world when they need me to leave the television and return to their planet.
    Last edited by swede; 01-22-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    I have a similar problem. I blame it on my ADHD. The draft allows me to stay busy with something that is at once meaningful and meaningless, important and unimportant, surprising and predictable. I prepare charts that make me feel happy when a knowledgeable guess is confirmed, and then the charts make me feel dumb when I can't get a single pick right in the second half of the first round. I root for the Packers to pick players that probably aren't even on Ted's board. And then, as in the 2009 draft, something amazing happens as in the legendary TT trade up to get Matthews!

My family cannot fathom the bonds that hold me to the draft, and I know many true green and gold smart Packer fans that are content to wait until the 7th round is over before finding out what happened. I admit I have a problem but until my family does an intervention they are stuck with me brooding over my notebooks and websites in the days before the draft, and they are stuck with me treating them like alien invaders to my private world when they need me to leave the television and return to their planet.
    My family wanted to have me committed when I ran around the house with shouts of pure joy after Matthews was drafted. I would not settle down. Pretty much an average day the Mraynrand household.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post

I used to love the draft, and I still won't miss it. I make it an event, but they way they lay it out now with only the first round on a Thursday night really wrecks it for me. I could commit a full Saturday to the first 3 rounds of the draft, now Saturday is a throw a way day, one where I will be expected to do work around the house. The NFL really screwed this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I used to love the draft, and I still won't miss it. I make it an event, but they way they lay it out now with only the first round on a Thursday night really wrecks it for me. I could commit a full Saturday to the first 3 rounds of the draft, now Saturday is a throw a way day, one where I will be expected to do work around the house. The NFL really screwed this up.
    DVR
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    DVR
    Agree with this too. Maybe the wife doesn't need to know that the draft isn't an all day Saturday event.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Agree with this too. Maybe the wife doesn't need to know that the draft isn't an all day Saturday event.

Just don't fast-forward through the commercials and turn the volume down when there is some ad for a show/event that already happened...

This. The draft schedule stinks to high heaven now. Ruins it as a weekend event.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Agreed.

I think that the NFL draft would be greatly improved if they would just switch the first round to friday night, if they want to do it by itself in prime time, and then do rounds 2-3 (the ones in which championships are built) on Saturday and finish up on Sunday. Sadly, I don't think that would happen.

I have to say, though, that I like the 1/2-3/4-7 split better than I liked the 1-2/3-7 split... that 5 round day was really very long. 1-3/4-7 was pretty good too.
    Last edited by Lurker64; 01-22-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    </delurk>

Agreed. Splitting it up the way they have rots.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...