View Poll Results: 3 year extension with new salaries in Top 10 of coaches. What does he need to do to earn it?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make 500

0 0%
  • Beat 500

1 4.00%
  • Winning record, but one and done playoff.

3 12.00%
  • Deep playoff run

18 72.00%
  • Super Bowl

3 12.00%

Thread: What Does McCarthy Have to Do Next Year to Get A Contract Extension?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    To me the most damning thing about MM is his inability to prepare what appeared to be a reasonably talented backup QB to perform competently when needed. Even worse, the look of the thing is that MM completely misunderestimated Hundley and had no clue that he wasn't ready for prime time. And then, when it became clear that the backup QB was playing like a backed up toilet, MM had difficulty adjusting the offense. And while all of this is going on, the defense, which played out of their heads in week 1 against Seattle, suddenly reverted to their old incompetent ways against lesser teams. Unlike in 2010, when starters began going down everything fell apart. Maybe it is true that each year is really a different team and that it's all a giant crapshoot or at least unknowable in advance. But MM's QB-guru rep, which was probably his calling card as a head coach, has now been dragged through the mud.
    He did adjust his offense for Hundley. It just didn't work:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/rpos-b...se-in-2017-137
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post

So you're saying that the misoverestimation was even worse than I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    So you're saying that the misoverestimation was even worse than I thought?
    My theory is M3 saw potential in Hundley but entrusted his development to the QB coach and the game plan to the OC. The results failed spectacularly, and both are now gone.

So yes. In a way. I think he had the potential but also had the wrong coaches.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post

I thought Rand was correct in observing that the offense reverted to touchdown to check down in the last couple of games. Opinion was kinda split on whether this was benign tanking or a natural turn of game plan.

I'll have to actually go read it to see if CheeseTV saw any of that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.