Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
I've often wondered how much they regret having announced it so soon after he retired the first time. I think it was probably done to "seal" the retirement, thinking the announcement of a date certain would nail the door shut on a possible reconsideration on his part. Of course, it didn't do that, and now it is an awkward commitment that will continually be asked about until it finally occurs.
I will never understand their attempts to put the genie back in the bottle, though I am not certain if the jersey retirement was pre or post unretirement news. Even Thompson understood what might happen and kept a large (even for him) amount of cap space open in what had to be a backup plan for his unretirement.

It was very clear that after the March/May aborted comeback that they did not have a clear fall back plan. I wonder to what degree Thompson and McCarthy were served poorly by the Packer PR team and admin.

Just another remember that you should careful what you wish for because I used to wonder HOW the relationship between Marino and the Dolphins got so bad so quickly.