Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
With the signing of Lacy the Packers have no depth behind Montgomery who is apparently staying with the #88. I don't know if that means he will be splitting time at receiver and running back or he just thinks it is cool roaming the backfield with #88. The Packers could kick the tires on some veterans in free agency but I can't see Ted signing Adrian Peterson, or Jamal Charles. I simply don't trust the injury history of Charles and Peterson is also coming off a significant knee injury and he is going to cost some team more cash than he is probably worth at this point in his career.

So to the draft we go and lets break down some scenarios. Dallas taking Elliot high in the 2016 draft paid off and it went against the norm of teams waiting on running backs. Teams might not wait on Fournette, Cook, or McCaffrey this year they could be gone before the 30th selection. Which might not be the worst scenario considering the needs the Packers have on defense, but it would be hard to pass on either of those three with the thirtieth pick in the draft. Out of the three top guys I would prefer Cook, then Fournette, and finally McCaffrey. Cook is the most complete back, while Fournette is probably the best pure running back since Adrian Peterson. McCaffrey reminds me of a more well rounded Reggie Bush, but he isn't going to run the ball 300 times a season. Most likely situation is that Thompson will sign one or two 3rd tier free agents and also take a running back in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

What type of back would the Packers be looking at? Another big boned bruiser like they had in Lacy, or a smaller quicker back that could be effective catching balls out of the backfield? My guess is that the Packers would be looking at a bigger back that can go between the tackles and have Montgomery has the quicker change of pass back that would be relied on to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Alvin Kamara Tenn
5'10" 215
4.56 40
39.5 vert
This kid is fun to watch on film. He is very explosive and quick twitch. He plays faster than his forty time and he gets to top gear right away. There is no hesitation with him and he does a very good job catching the football. Fantastic in open space and can get the edge in the college game. The biggest issue with him is that he doesn't run behind his shoulder pads. He is more slippery than a tackle breaker. He runs tall at times. He looks skinny on film and could stand to gain 10 pounds in the NFL. Packers could see him in the second round.

Joe Williams Utah
5'11" 210
4.41 forty
35" vert
This kid has a smooth feel to him when he is on the field. Good vision and seems to glide through the holes and before you know it he has gained 8 yards. He does a nice job delivering a blow versus taking one. He is a willing blocker and does a nice job catching the ball out of the backfield. His measurables are there and his product on the field is worth the watch. He runs a lot bigger than he is. There is not a whole lot that I saw that I didn't like about him. He is rated a 7th round pick, I don't get it.

Brian Hill Wyoming
6'1" 219
4.51 40
35" vert
Nothing flashing about Brian Hill, but he does a nice job showing patients and gains yards. He isn't a game breaker and he seems to find his biggest runs out of the I formation but will run out of the shotgun. He is a willing blocker and plays hard nose football. His times and measurables are good enough to be a mid round pick.
The Packers don't need a RB. They have Monte that everyone thinks is the second coming of Walter Payton.