Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
Capers is matching personnel (3 wide) as well as run/pass likelihood. If you play base or run heavy, the offense wants to pass. If you play pass first, their run likelihood goes up (see Forte versus the Packers).

And I disagree about the match for the Packers players in a 3-3. There are few, if any, pass rush options to man the three down positions. Raji, Daniels and Jones would be the likely LOS and Jones has struggled mightily versus the run. Raji has not shown his pass rush regularly in a few years.

You need Matthews/Perry and Peppers on the outside for the pass rush alone. As that is job one, you make do if the offense chooses to run. It worked with Matthews in the middle. We'll see this year.
Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
Agreed. It's all about your personnel. The Packers don't have the personnel to run a 3-3 front a lot. Most of the teams that play 3-4 base use a 2-4 front more than a 3-3 front. There are quite a few teams that play a 4-3 base that play 3-3 fronts, but those teams tend to have lighter, pass rushing type DL. 3-4 base teams tend to have more NT types who aren't great pass rushers. In reality, most teams are multiple nowadays. They'll mix in 3-4, 4-3, 3-3, 2-4, 4-2 at various times, but your personnel is going to determine what you play the most.
Yeah right... b/c everyone loved watching AJ Hawk and Brad Jones on the field 24/7

This year and moving forward though, TT seems to have made a bigger mess of the DL, as there is only 1 DL on the roster (Daniels) that has any business on the field in a pass rush situation.

Datone Jones has pretty much proven himself a bust; they moved Perry to LB, but that doesn't preclude him putting his hand in the dirt; I like Guion, but he's strictly a run defender; Clark won't offer any pass rush...

Hell, we might as well just go with a 1-5 and jungle rush anyone who feels like moving forward at the snap.

I think the front seven is going to take a serious step backward this year. They're going to have no choice but to go with 2 of Barrington, Ryan, or Martinez... Barrington and Ryan can't run; and even though Martinez isn't a blazer either, he might be the best of that bunch. Moving Clay back outside is definitely going to hurt the defense overall.