Thread: The Food Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    You are best off forming this dough into a pizza-hut type crust rather than one that is really thin. This kind of crust is well suited for a home kitchen oven as it will turn out at lower temperatures in the 450F degree range.

I've never been to Pizzeria Uno in Platville, but I've been to other Uno's before. I assume they are all the same? isn't the crust more like a chicago deep dish? Could i make this type of crust in my home oven?

? HOFer
    They have a pizzeria uno in the Platte? I don't think that was there when I was there. Cool.

When did you get so into cooking. I'm all about it, that's awesome!

I'll post some pizza stuff later. Pizza is my favorite thing to cook and I've done a lot of experimentation over the past two years or so since I got a pizza stone. I've evolved from a thick crust guy to a thin crust guy.

The GF and I have spent time going to all of MKEs finest pizza establishments over the past few months. Hands down, our favorites were Mama DeMarinis in Bay View and Zaffiros on Farwell. The Olive Pit in the 5th ward was amazing as well. I was really underwhelmed by Balistraris. We did carry out for that pie, so that could have contributed to underwhelmed feeling. We still have to try the Calderone club, but I think we've hit up basically all of the consensus top 15 places besides that.

It really is too bad about Pizza Man. That was my favorite pie before it burned down. How many Pizza pubs fell victims to the streets?
    Last edited by Partial; 07-25-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial View Post
    They have a pizzeria uno in the Platte? I don't think that was there when I was there. Cool.

When did you get so into cooking. I'm all about it, that's awesome!

I'll post some pizza stuff later. Pizza is my favorite thing to cook and I've done a lot of experimentation over the past two years or so since I got a pizza stone. I've evolved from a thick crust guy to a thin crust guy.

The GF and I have spent time going to all of MKEs finest pizza establishments over the past few months. Hands down, our favorites were Mama DeMarinis in Bay View and Zaffiros on Farwell. The Olive Pit in the 5th ward was amazing as well. I was really underwhelmed by Balistraris. We did carry out for that pie, so that could have contributed to underwhelmed feeling. We still have to try the Calderone club, but I think we've hit up basically all of the consensus top 15 places besides that.

It really is too bad about Pizza Man. That was my favorite pie before it burned down. How many Pizza pubs fell victims to the streets?
    I cooked professionally in Galena while at Platteville. After Zaffiro's I stopped looking for good pizza in Milwaukee. If you want the BEST pizza in Milwaukee you'll have to come over. It'd be a hell of a write up but I may at one time post the full method by which I make pizza at home, from the sourdough starter down to the basil on top.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 07-25-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I cooked professionally in Galena while at Platteville. After Zaffiro's I stopped looking for good pizza in Milwaukee. If you want the BEST pizza in Milwaukee you'll have to come over. It'd be a hell of a write up but I may at one time post the full method by which I make pizza at home, from the sourdough starter down to the basil on top.
    Not to get off your pizza kick, but does Mimma's still have that amazing angel hair with fresh mozzarella? Good GOD that stuff was fabulous.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer

Thumbs down

You gotta try Mama DeMarinis. It's a hole in the wall but it is fantastic! Oddly enough, there is another DeMarinis restaurant a block away that opened after a family squabble.

We'll have to do a pie exchange. I make a pretty tasty pizza too.

edit: Why is there a thumbs down in my post?

I cooked professionally in Galena while at Platteville.
    Where did you cook in Galena? Several good restaurants there. I hadn't been to Galena in quite awhile but this past spring my daughter took some golf lessons from a pro at the territory. We stopped at a place popular for their pizza....grrrr can't remember the name but it started with a C. lol

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007 View Post
    Where did you cook in Galena? Several good restaurants there. I hadn't been to Galena in quite awhile but this past spring my daughter took some golf lessons from a pro at the territory. We stopped at a place popular for their pizza....grrrr can't remember the name but it started with a C. lol
    Cannova's

I didn't actually work at a pizza place. I worked at Eagle Ridge where I headed up Banquets and worked in the fine dining restaurant. Its the type of place where the menu changes biweekly and one of our chefs was a pioneer in "modernist cuisine."

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post
    I've never been to Pizzeria Uno in Platville, but I've been to other Uno's before. I assume they are all the same? isn't the crust more like a chicago deep dish? Could i make this type of crust in my home oven?
    The one in Platteville is unaffiliated I believe. People may know it better by the bar that its affiliated with "The Annex" which has kick ass long island ice teas.

The Uno's in platteville does pimp their Chicago style pizza but I've never seen a deep dish from them.

In general Chicago style pizza refers to Chicago style thin crust which differs from NY style thin crust in that their is more deviation from pure Neapolitan pizza. Chi style usually has more sauce, wider variety of toppings, and is generally cut into squares instead of slices.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 07-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    In general Chicago style pizza refers to Chicago style thin crust
    when i think of chicago style pizza i think more of a pie style crust where the sauce is on the top not the bottom.

when i think of chicago style pizza i think more of a pie style crust where the sauce is on the top not the bottom.
    That's a deep dish.

got a hummus recipe?
    I don't have one but I'll bet Simply Recipes does. Simply Recipes is the personal blog and recipe website of Elise Bauer. Unlike most popular recipe websites she's only got a few hundred recpies and every one of them is tested by her and her family. You know how when you try a Juilia Child recipe everything just works out? Her's are the same. They are the only recipes on the web that I'll trust without ever having tried them personally. Here's her recipe for hummus:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/hummus/