Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Look at all the Free Agents making plays for the Broncos

The only advantage 2013 Den had was a healthy, juiced up Manning.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Just a few weeks ago people were claiming that the Washington way of FA signing was better than the Packers way.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    You're not sure if this team is better? Elway took a pretty good defense and made it an all time great one via the draft and key free agents. Statistically that is indisputable.
    And I don't dispute that. But, defense isn't the whole team (even though I have always been a defense first guy in every sport I have been involved in).
    Last edited by Patler; 02-08-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Denver is arguably an example of how free agency can help to build a SB roster. But when you look at just one team and try to evaluate roster-building strategies based on short term results, not only are you are being a results merchant, you are likely to be emulating models that are unreproducible or to which the rest of the league is now adjusting. So for free agency, how does relying on it to build your roster work for most teams in any given year? And how does reliance work for any one team over the course of many years?
    +1,000

How much different would the Packers' seasons gone over the past few years if they had been able to grab Von Miller in 2011 rather than Sherrod? Of course, Denver drafted second that year and GB 32nd.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by RonWolfGOAT View Post
    Im not sure how even the most ardent of TT fans can honestly say he has put enough resources into making the ILB and TE positions above average. They don't need to be great, just above average. But hey, at least we have two FBs.
    I don't always argue nonsense, but when I do I point at the two FBs because somehow that makes my point more valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I don't always argue nonsense, but when I do I point at the two FBs because somehow that makes my point more valid.

way to ignore the point of my post. common tactic of someone who has lost the argument.

ill say it again: Im not sure how even the most ardent of TT fans can honestly say he has put enough resources into making the ILB and TE positions above average. They don't need to be great, just above average.

way to ignore the point of my post. common tactic of someone who has lost the argument.

ill say it again: Im not sure how even the most ardent of TT fans can honestly say he has put enough resources into making the ILB and TE positions above average. They don't need to be great, just above average.
    If you were someone actually interested in debating, I'd put in some effort. But your modus operandi is more than clear.

You cherry pick replies, you don't respond to people challenging you, and you don't contribute in any way here outside of your own one note threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    and some can't accept the similarity between signing Talib because they lost Rodgers-Cromartie by Denver, and Green Bay simply resigning Shields.

When you have to sign a high value FA because you lost a high value FA, is it really any different than just hanging on to your own high value FA instead? They did not add Talib to their talent pool, they replaced Rodgers-Cromartie with Talib. Maybe an improvement, maybe not, maybe a draw, but from a roster building concept it varies very little from GB have managed to keep Shields.
    Signing your own players isn't as sexy and exciting as signing other teams' FAs.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    If you were someone actually interested in debating, I'd put in some effort. But your modus operandi is more than clear.

You cherry pick replies, you don't respond to people challenging you, and you don't contribute in any way here outside of your own one note threads.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    +1,000

How much different would the Packers' seasons gone over the past few years if they had been able to grab Von Miller in 2011 rather than Sherrod? Of course, Denver drafted second that year and GB 32nd.
    Denver stunk so they got the 2nd pick in that draft. Carolina stunk and got the first pick in that draft - Cam Newton. Maybe we should stink more so we can pick at the top of the draft?

which challenge did I not reply to? I'll do it now, maybe I missed it.

Whatever, I'll try:

"Effort" (because it sure feels good to be 'trying' harder) could be better. Though if you look at it with some perspective you'll see why they did what they did. COMING INTO this season with Matthews and Barrington in the middle it seemed like there was finally some stability at the ILB position.

Same with TE - theoretically Rodgers should improve and Quarless was solid. So with a 3rd rounder invested and a vet returning you'd get production in line with most teams that don't have a Gronk or another freak-ish LB at the position.

Can he do more THIS season? Absolutely? But they've dumped players into those positions and occasionally you have to trust your players and coaches to step up.

which challenge did I not reply to? I'll do it now, maybe I missed it.
    ...did you not read the first thread you started on this forum?

Whatever, I'll try:

"Effort" (because it sure feels good to be 'trying' harder) could be better. Though if you look at it with some perspective you'll see why they did what they did. COMING INTO this season with Matthews and Barrington in the middle it seemed like there was finally some stability at the ILB position.

Same with TE - theoretically Rodgers should improve and Quarless was solid. So with a 3rd rounder invested and a vet returning you'd get production in line with most teams that don't have a Gronk or another freak-ish LB at the position.

Can he do more THIS season? Absolutely? But they've dumped players into those positions and occasionally you have to trust your players and coaches to step up.
    Barrington? A midget taken in the 7th round? That's who you are relying on?

I think Rodgers can be a Bubba Franks type at TE but thats about it. That was evident his rookie season. Or did Ted think somehow he'd get faster? Quarless caught 29 passes in 2014, not even 2 a game. Not someone you want to hang your hat on, especially since he's a veteran and has maxed out.

Barrington? A midget taken in the 7th round? That's who you are relying on?
    Is a "midget" from the 5th round of another team's draft, who was waived 3 times and spent a few seasons on the PS a more aggressive, more certain approach to get a linebacker to rely on?

Sam Barrington - 6'1", 246 lbs., 7th round 2013
    Brandon Marshall- 6'1", 250 lbs, 5th round 2012 by Jacksonville, waived 3 times by Jacksonville, spent time on PS of both Jacksoonville and Denver.

So why is it so wrong for the Packers, yet smart for Denver to use similar size linebackers with very modest starts to the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    You're not sure if this team is better? Elway took a pretty good defense and made it an all time great one via the draft and key free agents. Statistically that is indisputable.
    He also has no offense left. His O line is decimated and he signed the Corpse of Vernon Davis to be his TE.

This one is directed to an earlier post: The Broncos did not sign Sanders to be an upgrade to Decker. They wanted Decker back. Sanders was the consolation prize.

Their best offense with Peyton had Decker AND Thomas.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Signing your own players isn't as sexy and exciting as signing other teams' FAs.
    Especially when those players are the ilk of Brad Jones & AJ Hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He also has no offense left. His O line is decimated and he signed the Corpse of Vernon Davis to be his TE.

This one is directed to an earlier post: The Broncos did not sign Sanders to be an upgrade to Decker. They wanted Decker back. Sanders was the consolation prize.

They wanted Decker back? So much so they didn't offer him a contract. And they didn't sign Vernon Davis to be THE tight end. They traded one/two 7th round picks for him, hoping he could contribute along with the 2 other Tes they had.

Don't forget Peyton had HGH on his side in 2013 as well.

Other than facts your post is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

And Thomas

I WANNA SHOUT THE LOUD WORDS IN BOLD TEXT! I DON"T LIKE A THING! I HAVE INTERNET ANONYMITY SO I'LL SHOUT IT HERE AND HOPE PEOPLE RESPOND TO MY TROLLING SO I CAN UNZIP WHILE MOM MAKES ME PIZZA ROLLS!