damn, just lost my post! Stupid auto-logout.

You're asking me to make a 'fairness' judgment again. It depends on the job - Jerry Jones once appointed himself assistant coach. What if he called himself head coach, and decided to pay himself like a top one, at $10mil/year? Al Davis could be called head of football operations, that worth a couple million. In today's salary structure, I don't think anyone would care about those numbers.

What would they care about? Using my 1982 example, $90K is 1.5% of 6 million. Today's annual NFL salary is hard to pin down, but I'm pretty sure it's over $1.5million. Let's use that number, it makes the math easy. $1.5 million is 1.5% of 100 million. If an owner was paying themselves that, it should rightly be considered profit, not an expense for the purpose of league calculations (even if Uncle Sam doesn't care).

IMO I'm not so sure that isn't happening. New England sells out their home games, and I think they have a pretty good stadium. However, their 09-10 cap number was relatively low at $97million. How much is Robert Kraft taking home? What about Clark Hunt in KC, with his league lowest cap number of $82million? (source: USA today, http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team). You might think it's unlikely, but no one knows, do they?