Thread: DO...The Chicago Bears have the pieces to be Super Bowl winner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'll repeat, because I have found this site to be very accurate. According to the "Spotrac" breakdown:

- Total guarantee as of March 2014 was $38M.
    - An additional $10M guarantees in 3/2015.
    - If they dump him before March, they are still on the hook next year for a $19.5M cap hit after a cap charge this year of $18.5M.

Assuming they cut him before the next guarantee and assuming the offset provision applies, it appears their cap hit = $19.5 - (2015 salary from whoever he signs with)
    Contract has offset language? That surprises me, wouldn't think a negotiator would dare try to put that language into a starting qb's 3rd contract!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Contract has offset language? That surprises me, wouldn't think a negotiator would dare try to put that language into a starting qb's 3rd contract!
    Does seem a bit strange, but a number of reporters have mentioned it being in Cutler's contract. I suppose you could sell it as being needed in case the team ends up with a Brett Favre-like situation in the last few years of the contract. A young QB ready to take over and an ancient vet still under contract wanting to wring a few more years out of his career. It's an incentive for the team to release him and let him look for a home elsewhere, even with a team unwilling or unable to assume his remaining contract via a trade.