Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pick #26 - Datone Jones

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    This pick makes me hate the Nick Perry pick even more. We could have the RB, Doug Martin or the S Harrison Smith. Instead we have a pudgy OLB who covers like a DT. The DE we just drafted looks more fluid and natural in space than the OLB we drafted last year. On top of that, Perry is a big dummy and didn't want to be here. Makes me sick.

AGREE
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    If Jones was all that, he would have been a top 10 pick.
    The best players on our roster were selected 24th & 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Lots of great writups on ths guy wist; why you choosing the negative slant ? This pick was a no brainer
    Asking Wist "Why the negative slant?" is like asking Santa Claus on Christmas Eve "Why the sleigh filled with presents?" It's what he does.

Watching the video of their USC game, I sure didn't see Jones taking plays off. And he didn't take plays off during Senior Bowl week when he was reportedly the only guy to get the best of Eric Fisher. Maybe he took some plays off against some of UCLA's lesser opponents. I don't know. In the NFL though, you're facing top competition every week, so I don't think that playing down to the competition will be a big problem.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    We needed a DE, we still need a NT - I've got my fingers crossed for Brandon Williams.

My take with Jones is somewhat similar to TT's draft last year. I do like Jones's talent; he has ability; and I do see him as a much more natural 5 than Raji. But as with Worthy... what player are we getting?? To me, there were enough red flags with Jones that I had crossed him off my wish list - conceding that he would likely be TT's pick if he were still on the board. If Jones was all that, he would have been a top 10 pick. He dropped to 26, and many had him rated lower than that, for a reason.

Truth be told, I was hoping someone would snag him before our pick, and that we'd trade out of the 1st round. But alas, Jones is a Packer, and I hope the flashes of good play are a glimpse of what he can do consistently on the next level.
    I think some of the hot/cold will disappear once he's playing with the big boys and competing for opportunity. His motor was going full force during the whole senior bowl week. A bunch of those OL picked at the top all got beaten one on one by Jones and that's the kind of thing we'd both love to see for our 2-gap scheme. He also seems like a pure 5-tech which isn't a thing in a 2-4. So hopefully this is a bit of evidence that we'll be moving away from the 2-4 as a run defense. I suspected that would and should die with the loss of Woodson but you might have something to celebrate as the biggest detractor of it in all of Packerland. Don't panic, what you're experiencing is just your brain releasing serotonin for the first time but its totally normal. If your face feels funny its probably just your atrophy-ridden muscles trying to smile. This is what happiness feels like.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Asking Wist "Why the negative slant?" is like asking Santa Claus on Christmas Eve "Why the sleigh filled with presents?" It's what he does.

Watching the video of their USC game, I sure didn't see Jones taking plays off. And he didn't take plays off during Senior Bowl week when he was reportedly the only guy to get the best of Eric Fisher. Maybe he took some plays off against some of UCLA's lesser opponents. I don't know. In the NFL though, you're facing top competition every week, so I don't think that playing down to the competition will be a big problem.

One positive note for me was that Thompson indicated he had an opportunity or two to move down but decided not to. This suggests that A) the offers were lousy, or B) Thompson didn't want to lose out on Jones.

So I'm going with "B" and am going to think Ted really liked this pick.

I feel about this one better than Nick Perry last year, but not quite like Bulaga, which was a total no-brainer.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Assuming he's any good, he'll play 5-tech DE and some snaps as an inside rusher. Jones should help the defense.
    I like the pick, but I'm not wowed by it. It feels like a bit of a no-brainer to me...they didn't have a classic 3-4 DE on the roster and Jones is the closest thing to that.

DJ Hayden would have been the highest ranked CB except he broke his leg
    IIRC Hayden was the guy who tore his artery and almost died...didn't hear about a leg injury. Some were saying he's the best CB in the draft but the deal with his heart probably took him off some team's boards.

I agree. I like the pick okay, but I don't feel like Ted got a big steal, like I think Minny did with Floyd.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

If you guys had heard Capers last night, I am thinking he sees the field far more often in 2-4 than 3-4. But we'll see. Camp will tell us the plan.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If you guys had heard Capers last night, I am thinking he sees the field far more often in 2-4 than 3-4. But we'll see. Camp will tell us the plan.
    I don't think he's being Wist-ful.

KYPack

Some quotes from Jones himself:

"I hate losing and I’m happy to come to an organization like Green Bay, with a winning tradition. To be able to play at Lambeau Field is crazy. I’m so hyped up right now already. I just want to play."
    "I look back at it, the game has come a long way. One thing I do know, the great pass rushers have one thing in common - they play nasty, they play physical, they play hard."
    This guy gets it and sounds like a 'Packer Person' from day 1.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    We'll still use the 2-4 more than the 3-4. Every single 3-4 team does just as every 4-3 teams uses their 4-2 nickle more. What I think we'll move away from is the nickle as a run defense. The look where Pickett and Raji are the down lineman and Woodson is playing more of a LB role. I don't see the appeal to that anymore without Woodson. No matter what you think about Capers, he's a good enough coach to bend the scheme to ft the players and not the other way around. Hayward is awesome but he's no Woodson in that role.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    There is a lot of love for this pick.

Already told TT he will play at whatever weight they want which is 295.

This is a base 3 down end -- not strictly a sub package player like Neal.

Due tochanging nfl offenses you need players with multiple skill sets which Jones appears to possess. The, no-huddle, up-tempo and spread options which limits substituting is forcing a redesigning of defenses. The packers recognize this.

In college, TAMU showed how to beat a traditional pro style defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    AGREE
    When TT was making a final decision on his pick at #26. He had two solid (and 'in my view' unexpected) options on the board. It might have been or could have been a head scratcher!? There's an easy way to avoid that in a pinch.

I analyzed TT's pick options:

Those options were:

a) 34 DE Datone Jones (lighter than our current DE's)

b)34 DT/43 DT Sylvester Williams. A Big DT ... STRONG and effective DT.

Maybe it got complicated for TT and maybe? not?

Why maybe? complicated? Complicated because our priority need looking at the roster was for a 34DE. Yet there is another issue (s).

DE Datone Jones didn't look likely to me.

Even though I Mock'd him in Rd. 1 #26. The best fit for us and priority need for a 34 DE. Looking at just the roster and forgetting all else.

What... 'all else'?:

a) The fact we have a need for more 'BIG' on our DL.

b) Add that we have five (5) DLman in a final contract year.

c) Add that BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett need help....a rest more often.

d) Add that another 'Big DLman' means more plays 'possibly' for BJ Raji.

There's more that TT is aware of. (-;

In my analysis of Round 1...

I had DT Sylvester Williams going to the Minnesota Vikings at Pick #23 or #25. I never imagined that DT Sharrif Floyd would slide down to the Vikings. When he did, they optioned him and left DT Sylvester Williams on the board.

DE Datone Jones got to Pick #26 because DE Bjoern Werner slide to the Indy Colts. I had Datone Jones going to Indy. Add this into the analysis:

Some unexpected prospects slipped up into Rd. 1 ie OT Justin Pugh to the Giants at Pick #19 and OG Kyle Long to the Bears at Pick #20.

I don't believe that TT expected that avalanche of DLman. When it was in his face he did the thing that covered need and BPA. He drafted The higher graded DLman Datone Jones with a Grade of 85.6 over Sylvester Williams with a Grade of 80.6.

He went with BPA 'Need'. = 34 DE Datone Jones.

Thus today DT Sylvester Williams is a happy Denver Bronco. My early pick to go to the Super Bowl from the AFC next year.

GO TED GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I like the pick more now too, but... no telling how much of a mess Mr. Spraypaintedhair can make of it.

Now he has a different shaped toy - he couldn't figure out how to use Worthy, Daniels, and Perry. 280 lbs DE/DT?? Give Capers half a chance and he'll have Jones lined up over the nose in his new "Jell-O package", and out covering the slot receiver in his new "Puddin' package".

On the bright side, it seems TT sees the urgency of the mess he's created in the front seven and is throwing more spitballs at the problem.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Some quotes from Jones himself:

This guy gets it and sounds like a 'Packer Person' from day 1.
    I hope it works out very very well.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

We need the right bigs. The current fatties may not be around after next season.

Jesse Williams -- move up and get him. Also sends a message to current fatties to sign up for Jenny Craig today.

The 2nd half of the Stanford game is one of the games that gave me pause about Jones.

He gets a sack early in the 3rd quarter, but even on that play he looked like me playing soccer when I was a kid - I'd only run if the ball came close enough that I didn't have to chase after it.

Then again, soccer is a eurotrash, communist plot... and doesn't warrant much athletic exertion.
    Last edited by wist43; 04-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    wist

I like the pick more now too, but... no telling how much of a mess Mr. Spraypaintedhair can make of it.

Now he has a different shaped toy - he couldn't figure out how to use Worthy, Daniels, and Perry. 280 lbs DE/DT?? Give Capers half a chance and he'll have Jones lined up over the nose in his new "Jell-O package", and out covering the slot receiver in his new "Puddin' package".

On the bright side, it seems TT sees the urgency of the mess he's created in the front seven and is throwing more spitballs at the problem.
    Reacting to changing nfl offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha1 View Post
    We need the right bigs. The current fatties may not be around after next season.

Jesse Williams -- move up and get him. Also sends a message to current fatties to sign up for Jenny Craig today.
    I don't like the 34 'D'.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I don't like the 34 'D'.
    I like it due to the blitz packages.